Author Topic: DIARY: Christmas Day to New Year’s Eve.  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: DIARY: Christmas Day to New Year’s Eve.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 28 December 23 21:46 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

My grandfather always called them Pomfret cakes. (He was from County Durham).

TY, we had a nice day on Tuesday but it reverted to the wet stuff yesterday and most of today. I'm thinking of building an Ark.  :-\
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 28 December 23 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Think we must have been more fortunate with the weather today as it was quite sunny and even some blue sky…
Sadly by about 3pm it was overcast and raining … I did manage to get some washing on the line ….
..well all chocs now finished… stock from turkey made …
I couldn’t believe I’d only gained 1lb so pretty happy with that as it’ll soon go!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 29 December 23 11:55 GMT (UK) »
What a roller coaster week! I set off last Friday on the train to London to stay with Mark (eldest son) and Erica. I got as far as the escalator at Victoria Station and had a blackout. So instead of going on to Penge with Mark (who , luckily was with me) I finished up in Chelsea and Westminster Hospital for a couple of days whilst they sorted me out. Luckily no bones broken, but lots of bruises and scratches and a stern warning to TAKE IT EASY! I guess a build up of stress over the past few months and  then Jane's passing contributed to an overload on the brain and body.

Now back in Radstock. Andrew changed his flight plans from Oz and came a week earlier than planned and will be with me until after Jane's funeral- keeping his beady eye on the old man and doing some essential maintenance work around the house.
A difficult few days ahead but I have wonderful support from friends and neighbours and of course my two boys and their families.
Rj
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 29 December 23 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Take that as a warning, Rj, not to attempt too much at what must have been and still is such a difficult time for you.  Let others look after you and do the worrying for you and take your time to recover.  Our thoughts and best wishes are with you.   
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 29 December 23 12:21 GMT (UK) »
Do take it easy, Rj, what a stressful time and place to have to be travelling, in the first place!
Remember we are all thinking of you, and wishing you well. Try to have a happy new year - after all 2024 must be better than 2023, - mustn't it?
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 29 December 23 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Rj- very sorry to hear about your incident in London, as you say thankfully Mark was with you.
As other RC’s suggest take time to recover and allow your wonderful sons and families to look after you and take the strain.

My thoughts are with you and like others I wish you all the best for the coming few weeks and know we’re all thinking and praying for you.

Take care

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 29 December 23 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Just to echo all the others Jeff.... thinking of you, and sending you good wishes.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 29 December 23 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Like everyone else - Rj - be careful AND all good wishes to you and the boys for 2024.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 29 December 23 16:26 GMT (UK) »
My best wishes too Jeff, thank goodness your sons are there to help you. Here's hoping for a better 2024 for you.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales