Author Topic: DIARY: Christmas Day to New Year’s Eve.  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DIARY: Christmas Day to New Year’s Eve.
« on: Monday 25 December 23 08:32 GMT (UK) »
DIARY: Christmas Day to New Year’s Eve.
Having woken early, and nothing else to do, I might as well start the new week. I guess most regulars will be too busy.
Hello to everyone, especially those feeling bereft, fearful or isolated. It is still dark, damp and suddenly misty outside, so I have left the balcony coloured lights on, to cheer passersby.
I am feeling very cut off as my special loved ones are too far away to have a family time.
But I did have a video call last night, and have fingers crossed for another at some point today.  I do know in my heart I should be glad and grateful they are all well and happy, and I send hugs to everyone who is in a less fortunate position.
Enjoy this special day as best you can. Pamper yourself in the best way.  Pretty soon we shall be able to get back to our individual “normality”.  Look after yourselves, and I wish you peace.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DIARY: Christmas Day to New Year’s Eve.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 December 23 08:58 GMT (UK) »
I have hopped over Mowsehowse.

After a couple of very windy dry days it is wet and miserable here, shame for any children with new outside toys and they can't go out, bikes and the like.

Happy Christmas day to everyone

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 December 23 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Wishing everyone a very Happy Christmas. Haven't contributed to the diary threads much for for a while but still like to look in and see what everyone is up to.

The sun has just come out here, a very welcome sight. We had really high winds over the weekend, so much so that I didn't go for my daily walk yesterday, I might have ended up being tossed around like a leaf! The field is still too boggy to walk on after all the rain we had and too windy to walk through the woods, quite a lot of damage done there. So I've had to stick to the walkways but at least it gets me out in the fresh air.

Thinking today  of all those who are having a rough time and hoping that the new year brings better things for you. Hope your video call gives you a lift MH.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 December 23 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Christmas Day has dawned mild and damp.  We had our Christmas dinner at my daughter's house Scandinavian style on Christmas Eve and left the table groaning slightly, full of roast chicken (they don't like turkey) and all the trimmings cooked by my son-in-law plus pudding made to my grandmother's recipe.  Grandchildren were very excited, even though they know that Santa Claus is just a lovely story.  10-yeat-old has wished for perfume (!) and 13-year-old something for his bike (he got a voucher).  Daughter wanted an air fryer and son-in-law a particular brand of bourbon.  But we don't get our presents till today, of course.  Some family members will be taking part in the Christmas Day Swim - an annual occasion which draws hundreds of swimmers down to our beach.   Then we shall come back to our daughter's for a buffet lunch and more present opening and relaxing for the rest of the day.  Our son and his wife will join us - he was working till late last night, so missed out on the Dinner.

Enjoy the day everyone.  For those who have lost ones it will be a time to try to concentrate on reliving happy memories.  My sympathies are with you, particularly those whose loss has been recent.  For those who are unwell, I hope you will soon recover.  You can always have a belated celebration when you feel better. 

The New Year will soon be upon us.  A time to make resolutions, which we probably won't keep,  a time to look forward with hope. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 December 23 12:25 GMT (UK) »
As everything is ticking along nicely in the oven just popping in to wish everyone a very Happy Christmas 🤶🎄.  I hope you all have a wonderful time.

Pinetree

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 December 23 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Just a Manx thought for the New Year:
SLAYNT AS SHEE AS EASH DY VEA, AS MAYNRYS SON DY BRA
(pronounced ‘slent azz shee azz aysh the vay, azz mairn-riss sonn the brair)

Or, in English - Health and peace and length of life and happiness for ever!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 December 23 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I think I've eaten rather too much but it was all too tempting and delicious.  I hate to think how many diet rules I have broken, but I know what my New Year resolution will have to be.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Aguella

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 December 23 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Hope everyone had a smashing Christmas. Ours is the same every year, and I mean that in a positive way: so many traditions and all 3 generations make a great effort. A new event, a family cocktail making competition (as it sounds - everyone had to design & create their own cocktail, and everyone had to then select their favourite) was a great hit. Salmon, ham, pork, lamb chops, chicken, everything delicious.

Over breakfast, as a memory-testing activity everyone wrote out all the addresses they've ever lived at. It was a lot of fun and generated interested memories and anecdotes, and of course I've whisked away the lists to enter any new info into the family tree ;)

Onwards to New Years' now, which is my favourite holiday. Such a refreshing time. After the Christmas party season I must admit I feel like I could sleep from now until then!
Researching my Kentish hop growing ancestors, one pint at a time!

https://www.mercerhopgrowers.com/

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 December 23 08:34 GMT (UK) »
 :) That all sounds marvellous Aguella. A very special get together.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.