Author Topic: DNA match  (Read 729 times)

Online Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA match
« on: Tuesday 26 December 23 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Happy Christmas

I have been researching my son in laws mothers tree for her 75th birthday in January.  It has been a bit of a rush and so have only gone back a few generations.  The original surname is Urch.  In my search I came across an ancestry member in the Urch tree with a DNA match to me!!!  Obviously this was a huge shock, so I emailed the person but they did not reply.  It states 5th to 8th cousin 8cM across 1 seg.

Can anyone explain this please.

Also if I now go back to my tree  and look at the extended tree going backwards cousins etc should I in theory come across a connection?
I have already found a 1xcousin 3 x removed in my tree that marries an Urch but he is not in my son in laws tree at the moment. 

Lastly I have bought my son in law a DNA kit to see if it comes up that we are actually related, if it is the case I was thinking of hiring someone to look at it for me.  Any recommendations from who I might use?

Hope this makes sense  :-\

Sue

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA match
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 December 23 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I’m not sire I fully understand, but I will offer a couple of thoughts while you wait for some better replies ….

If you have a DNA match in the Urch tree it might not mean that you and your son in law are “related”. Could it be that you are related to someone else in the tree who married into the Urch family?

There are often errors in trees attached to DNA results, so keep that in mind. Many of them only show direct lines and to find where you match you often have to search very wide …. For example trace all siblings of all 4 and 5x great grandparents, and then trace their descendants on all lines ….

I would look at mutual matches of you and the Urch match to see if that clarifies.

Lastly 8cm is a small amount of DNA to share. I think it is Ancestry who have a cut off, and don’t even bother to show matches that low. Having said that, some people are able to trace matches which share very low amounts.

It is a good idea to test your son in law too. DNA is passed down randomly and it could be that he did not inherit DNA from the same ancestors that you did.

There is loads online but this American one explains the possible time lines quite simply https://www.familyhistoryfanatics.com/how-far-back-ethicity

Regarding paying someone to research for you, I would think they would just do the same sort of online research tracing all lines, in the same way that you would. Others may have some suggestions on this.

Good luck, and pop back when you get your son in law’s results.

Added: which company did you take the DNA test with?

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 08:45 GMT (UK) »

If you have a DNA match in the Urch tree it might not mean that you and your son in law are “related”. Could it be that you are related to someone else in the tree who married into the Urch family?

There are often errors in trees attached to DNA results, so keep that in mind. Many of them only show direct lines and to find where you match you often have to search very wide …. For example trace all siblings of all 4 and 5x great grandparents, and then trace their descendants on all lines ….

I would look at mutual matches of you and the Urch match to see if that clarifies.

Lastly 8cm is a small amount of DNA to share. I think it is Ancestry who have a cut off, and don’t even bother to show matches that low. Having said that, some people are able to trace matches which share very low amounts.

It is a good idea to test your son in law too. DNA is passed down randomly and it could be that he did not inherit DNA from the same ancestors that you did.

There is loads online but this American one explains the possible time lines quite simply https://www.familyhistoryfanatics.com/how-far-back-ethicity

Regarding paying someone to research for you, I would think they would just do the same sort of online research tracing all lines, in the same way that you would. Others may have some suggestions on this.

Good luck, and pop back when you get your son in law’s results.

Added: which company did you take the DNA test with?

Thank you Ruskie sounds like you absolutely understood my post.  I had thought about the fact that my son in law may have an ancestor that we have  common ancestors marrying each other and there actually is a case of this my 1 cousin 3 x removed married an Urch but this Urch was in North Somerset and they are in Frome, however I am looking to see if there is a connection in the Urch Tree.

I did the DNA on Ancestry.

But thank you again I will continue my search.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity, an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 10:05 GMT (UK) »
I have a 9cM match to "JM" who is descended from my husband's 3rd cousin 6 x removed. I.e "JM" and my husband's shared ancestors are his 8 x great grandparents. He does not have a match to "JM" as the relationship between them is too distant.

But, this doesn't mean my husband and I are related, very unlikely as our ancestors come from widely differing parts of the country, my link to "JM" is probably from a completely different branch of his / her tree.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry do show matches at 8cM, but not below that length. However, at 8cM the chances of the "match" being false due to random noise and the short length are fairly high - roughly 50/50 - so without other evidence to corroborate such a match it is in itself pretty useless.

It is only when you look at matches at or above about 15-16cM that you can consider them to be 100% reliable.

I do have a few cousins in my tree at 8 to 9cM on Ancestry. I can't be sure that any of those matches are in themselves genuine, but I do know how the individuals are related through paper records. The relationships vary from a 6C1R to a 3C.

However, when you look at a lowish length match on Ancestry, you may find two different figures shown for the match; shared DNA and unweighted shared DNA. The latter may be greater, and indicates that Ancestry's Timber algorithm has stripped out some of the matching segment(s) before arriving at the "headline" shared match length. Timber is a calculation which aims to identify and remove segments of matching DNA that it believes are common to populations originating from certain areas, rather than indicative of a closer relationship between individuals.

The unweighted shared DNA, if higher than the headline match length, is often more comparable with the lengths expressed for the same individual if you and they have tested on other platforms. It could make a slight difference, but at a headline 8cM match, the unweighted length is unlikely to be sufficiently longer to make any real difference to the credibility of the match. Plus you don't know whether Timber has genuinely identified a length of DNA that should have been stripped out, or wrongly removed it, which although less likely, can happen.

I hope that makes sense!
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Happy Christmas

I have been researching my son in laws mothers tree for her 75th birthday in January.  It has been a bit of a rush and so have only gone back a few generations.  The original surname is Urch.  In my search I came across an ancestry member in the Urch tree with a DNA match to me!!!  Obviously this was a huge shock, so I emailed the person but they did not reply.  It states 5th to 8th cousin 8cM across 1 seg.

Can anyone explain this please.

Also if I now go back to my tree  and look at the extended tree going backwards cousins etc should I in theory come across a connection?
I have already found a 1xcousin 3 x removed in my tree that marries an Urch but he is not in my son in laws tree at the moment. 

Lastly I have bought my son in law a DNA kit to see if it comes up that we are actually related, if it is the case I was thinking of hiring someone to look at it for me.  Any recommendations from who I might use?

Hope this makes sense  :-\

Sue

I can’t help with the DNA aspect as this is a route I’ve not gone down - yet.

Just wondering where your Urch person is from, as I have several in my tree, starting in Somerset and moving to Bristol through the generations.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 12:46 GMT (UK) »
No personal interest, but....

Reply #3: Suzy, you say: "but this Urch was in North Somerset and they are in Frome,"

I would suggest a link is highly likely given that Frome is also Somerset.

Good hunting.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Suzy100

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 12:53 GMT (UK) »
No personal interest, but....

Reply #3: Suzy, you say: "but this Urch was in North Somerset and they are in Frome,"

I would suggest a link is highly likely given that Frome is also Somerset.

Good hunting.

That is what I am thinking, so am def looking into it.  But understand what others are saying about a slim chance.

Thanks
Ricketts
Browns
Fletcher
Statham
Baker