Author Topic: Specifying Precise Parish in Ancestry Searches?  (Read 705 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Specifying Precise Parish in Ancestry Searches?
« on: Wednesday 27 December 23 03:31 GMT (UK) »
When searching the Catholic parish register collection on Ancestry I invariably specify the exact diocese of interest. Results will always list the particular parish, as well as the diocese. However, whenever I try to specify a precise parish of interest, using the location or lived in fields, the outcome is invariably the same - zero results.

So, is there a way to successfully specify a particular parish of interest with these searches?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Specifying Precise Parish in Ancestry Searches?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 08:46 GMT (UK) »
When you see the record in Ancestry........go to the Parish books.
https://registers.nli.ie/
you may have to work between a map of today and the map on the Registers site as Parishes change names.
As they give the year, sometimes the month and sometimes the date in Ancestry, you can then get the record.
Another way is to look in............
www.familysearch.org
There are records for people going to the USA in here in earlier years, this was the old LDS site.
Search by just the surname then add the Christian names.
If you get stuck, send a name and a year.
Maggsie

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 December 23 09:00 GMT (UK) »
When you see the record in Ancestry........go to the Parish books.
https://registers.nli.ie/
you may have to work between a map of today and the map on the Registers site as Parishes change names.
As they give the year, sometimes the month and sometimes the date in Ancestry, you can then get the record.
Another way is to look in............
www.familysearch.org
There are records for people going to the USA in here in earlier years, this was the old LDS site.
Search by just the surname then add the Christian names.
If you get stuck, send a name and a year.
Maggsie

Thanks, but that isn't the issue.

The issue is that I am frequently interested in searching for baptisms, marriages or deaths in just one particular parish at a time. I don't want to see, say, every Murphy baptism in the entire diocese. I have not figured out a way to do that on Ancestry. One can readily do this using RootsIreland, but their coverage is more limited.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 14:10 GMT (UK) »
That is why I tent to use Findmypast advanced search instead and the Catholic collection is entirely free there. If I remember John Grenham said Ancestry and FindMyPast actually collaborated and shared the transcribing 50/50 so in theory the same errors are on both and the differences in results are down to the search engines.
If you find something of interest and for ease of tree attachment then I might go to Ancestry & try Keywords for locality.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 January 24 02:19 GMT (UK) »
That is why I tent to use Findmypast advanced search instead and the Catholic collection is entirely free there. If I remember John Grenham said Ancestry and FindMyPast actually collaborated and shared the transcribing 50/50 so in theory the same errors are on both and the differences in results are down to the search engines.
If you find something of interest and for ease of tree attachment then I might go to Ancestry & try Keywords for locality.

Interesting. So:
- The FindMyPast and Ancestry transcriptions are equally and identically awful? I though the awfulness stemmed from sourcing from FamilySearch.
- But FindMyPast has a superior search facility.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 January 24 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Catholic Parish Registers

I enter the parish in the ‘Keywords’ box - only.
It works much of the time. I have just tried before I posted to make sure.

‘Kilmore Erris’ - looks fine.

‘Lacken’ - doesn’t. Neither does ‘Lacken’ plus Killala diocese.
‘Lacken’ in keyword plus Mayo, Ireland in ‘any event’ works.

‘New Ross’ works.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Catholic Parish Registers

I enter the parish in the ‘Keywords’ box - only.
It works much of the time. I have just tried before I posted to make sure.

‘Kilmore Erris’ - looks fine.

‘Lacken’ - doesn’t. Neither does ‘Lacken’ plus Killala diocese.
‘Lacken’ in keyword plus Mayo, Ireland in ‘any event’ works.

‘New Ross’ works.

Thanks for this.

Unfortunately, my Ancestry subscription expired in the midst of exploring this further.

What I did previously, was try to specify the parish in the "location" box for  birth information, e.g. Tagoat in Ferns diocese.
I confirmed that this does not seem to work - it does give results, but the specified  parish is not prioritized. If I then specify "exact search", the result, as with all previous attempts of mine, is "zero good matches".

If, however, I put Tagoat into the "Keyword" box, as you suggest, it may work? Not clear, as my subscription gave out at precisely that point.  ::)

Whatever the case, the search logic (or lack thereof) eludes me, as with so much else with Ancestry.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 22:47 GMT (UK) »
On initial search page, I just entered Tagoat in ‘Keyword’ box. Nothing else.

Various records then show.

For ‘Ireland Catholic Parish Registers’, there are 1811 records.
I have not gone through the 37 pages but the first 18 are all Tagoat.
It looks good.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Purpeller

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 January 24 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry and FindMyPast did collaborate on the transcription and the databases are identical, except Ancestry charges and FindMyPast doesn't.
Dublin, Limerick, Carlow, Waterford, Wicklow, Pembrokeshire