Author Topic: Immigration records to Scotland early 1900s  (Read 494 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration records to Scotland early 1900s
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 December 23 01:10 GMT (UK) »
I found the Alien Record, which also included his photograph of my gt. grand father in the Yorkshire Police Archive.

As a European mainland Immigrant Alien, arriving in this country 1856 aged ten,  he had to report to the police every day, even though his four sons served in the First world War.  He died 1942 aged 86.  He had an English wife who became an Alien the minute she married him.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline gyoung376

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 December 23 10:55 GMT (UK) »
I found the Alien Record, which also included his photograph of my gt. grand father in the Yorkshire Police Archive.

As a European mainland Immigrant Alien, arriving in this country 1856 aged ten,  he had to report to the police every day, even though his four sons served in the First world War.  He died 1942 aged 86.  He had an English wife who became an Alien the minute she married him.

Thank you Rena - that's a really helpful pointer. I will make attempts to contact the local Council archives and Police archives. My GGF will have definitely been registered as an 'Alien' as he was interred during WW2.

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 28 December 23 17:01 GMT (UK) »

Thank you Rena - that's a really helpful pointer. I will make attempts to contact the local Council archives and Police archives. My GGF will have definitely been registered as an 'Alien' as he was interred during WW2.

No, he was not "interred" during WW2! Interred = buried! The word is "interned"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 28 December 23 17:11 GMT (UK) »
No, he was not "interred" during WW2! Interred = buried! The word is "interned"
Good spot, eilthireach. It's a very common error - on a par with Ordinance Survey for Ordnance Survey - nothing like getting off-topic :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.