Author Topic: Thornhill and Moore Families Help!  (Read 257 times)

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Thornhill and Moore Families Help!
« on: Wednesday 27 December 23 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Looking for John Thornhill who according to his marriage certificate was full age, a bachelor living at Sunday Wells, Parish of St Mary Shandon, Cork City. He was a Writing Clerk and his father William was a Clerk Peace Office.
He married Margaret Moore of full age, a spinster living at Paul Street, Parish of St Paul's City of Cork.
She was a storekeeper as was her father John.
They married in the Register Office in Cork City on the 14th of July 1855. Witnesses were D.Connor and Mary O'Connor(who made her Mark)

Margaret and 3 children, William 1856, Annie 1859, and Louis 1859 came to New Zealand on the Asia in 1874.
To date, I can find no evidence of her husband John coming to New Zealand.
Many trees have a Johnson Thornhill as her husband. This man was born about 1816, was a miner from Ireland, and died in New Zealand in 1871. I can find no evidence to connect Johnson to John or Margaret.
Would like to know about John Moore and his family also William Thornhill's family.
What happens to John?
A New Year's miracle would be good.
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thornhill and Moore Families Help!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 23 05:19 GMT (UK) »
The Catholic Parish Registers at the National Library of Ireland has the following baptism in the Parish of Doneraile in the diocese of Cloyne, Cork:

12 Sep 1816 John son of William Thornhill and Mary (nee Roache or Roche), Ballyandrew (I think!). 

Siblings appear to be Honora 1820 and Mary 1823, both baptised at Doneraile, and then William 1828 at St Finbar, Cork
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 December 23 07:37 GMT (UK) »
There are a couple of newspaper snippets from January 1849, regarding ‘Mr William Thornhill’ who was found dead at his home in Henry Street, Cork. The articles confirm that ‘for many years employed in the office ‘clerk of the peace’.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 23 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Jomot and heywood. This is great.
I have found the articles regarding Williams's death on 3rd January 1849. Williams's 3xgreat grandson was born on 3rd January 1951. He too is now deceased.
I did have William and Mary nee Roache as possible parents in 1994 when I started this line. Now I can confirm I am on the right track.
Thank you
Carol

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
and many more.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 December 23 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Moore baptized Carrigaline 29 May 1830, parents John Moore &  Mary Hayes
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 December 23 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Wexflyer. All help is gratefully accepted.
Carol

and many more.