Author Topic: Pems Record Office Request - Martha Williams & abandoned son, Lemuel Williams  (Read 103 times)

Offline lyndahirst_1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi All

I'd be grateful when anyone was next visiting the Pems Record Office in Haverfordwest and they might be able to check up for any records for me please?

In the 1851 Census, my 2xGt-Grandfather Lemuel Williams (sometimes transcribed as Samuel Williams) is enumerated with a Thomas and Mary Evans living in the City Road, Haverfordwest St Martin, noted as a 1yo foundling, along with anther foundling named Mary Harries.

Looking at the 1861 census, I can see that Thomas and Mary Evans were again enumerated in City Road, Haverfordwest St Martin, and were caring for two more foundlings so it would appear that Board of Guardians regularly paid them to look after young children in the care of the Workhouse.

On checking with PRO, I am advised that the only surviving records for Haverfordwest Union Workhouse covering the period from 1850 to 1864 (when Lemuel would have been 14, the age at which he was most likely to have been apprenticed) are the minutes of the Board of Guardians. 

Those minutes mostly covered the administration of the Workhouse and the collection of the poor rate but they do contain some references to inmates of the institution. 

There are four volumes of the minutes covering the period 1850-1864 but I'm told they can be searched quite rapidly as the format is fairly regular.

I am hoping that SKS may have the time and opportunity to look through those minutes and see if there are any details pertaining to Lemuel at all? 

He was born Mar 1850, baptised 10 March 1850 and abandoned by his mother Martha Williams, on 14 March 1850 so I'm particularly interested to learn about any details of him being found and handed over to the foster carer Evans family, how long he stayed with them or similar, before being placed into the Work House.

Lemuel is still listed as an inmate at the Workhouse on the 1861 census (12yo) and by 1871, he has been apprenticed to James Thompson, his wife Martha and their two children, as a tailor, aged 20 so again, particularly interested in any information regarding him being apprenticed to James etc.

It appears that his mother, Martha Williams, was sent to Haverfordwest Castle Goal for 2 months hard labour May-Jul 1850 but her whereabouts after that date are unknown.

Very grateful for any assistance.

Kind Regards
Lynda
Queensland, Australia  :)
South Wales - main trunk family names - mam's side:-
Beard, Crandon, Clement, Lawrence, Langdon, Cartwright, Griffiths, Housego, Llewellyn, Stevens, Thomas. 

Father's side:
Williams, Rosser, Griffiths, Jones, Thomas, Llewellyn, Charles, Davies, Phillips, Powell