Author Topic: Help please ....  (Read 194 times)

Offline aliray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please ....
« on: Thursday 28 December 23 12:43 GMT (UK) »

Could anybody help me please with any information on an Isobel Thomson who married James Urquhart on the 14th November 1745 in Ellon Aberdeenshire ....James was born in 1736 ....I'm trying to do this for a lady who mailed me but I haven't got any information other than this marriage to James she needs to try and find the date of birth for her and anything else which is relevant...fingers crossed as I have used this site years ago now and I know how helpful you all are ...bit previous I know but a big thank you in advance to all !

Kind regards..

Alison
mcadam, lanarkshire, o'hara, county mayo,ireland, simpson, aberdeen

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Help please ....
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 23 13:05 GMT (UK) »
If James was born in 1736, he wasn't old enough to marry in 1745 at only 9 years old.

The marriage is indexed at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. Also the baptisms of five children to James Urquhart in Ellon, but the mother's name isn't listed: Katherine 1746, Isabel 1748, James 1751, William 1753, Arthur 1756.

If (and it's a big if) this is the right James Urquhart and if they followed the naming tradition you'd expect Isobel Thomson's parents to be William and Katherine. There are no such baptisms in Aberdeenshire, but there is a possible one, baptised in Slains in 1720, father William, mother not named.

You'd need to look at the original baptisms to see if there are any clues in the witnesses.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aliray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 December 23 13:36 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Forfarian , on looking again of course he wasn't...I wrote that down in a hurry and I never even gave it a second thought !!! Sorry ! Found that on Familysearch...so now I'm wondering if this Isobel Thomas was right also !

Alison

Offline aliray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 23 13:38 GMT (UK) »
   Thomson I should of put .... ::)

Offline aliray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 December 23 13:44 GMT (UK) »
  I see it comes up with John Urquhart and Isobel Mackintosch as James parents ....don't know if that's wrong or of any help at all ......

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 December 23 14:13 GMT (UK) »
if 'it' means FamilySearch, or Ancestry, or any other web site, do not trust 'it' unless and until you have found other evidence to support whatever 'it' is suggesting.

Do not trust anything you find online, especially family trees, other than an image of an original document - and even then be wary.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

James Urquhart, son of John Urquhart and Isabella Macintosh, was baptised in 1736 in Croy and Dalcross. Therefore, assuming that he was baptised as an infant, he was not the husband of Isobel Thomson.

Also, Dalcross is about 90 miles and four counties away from Ellon. It's not impossible, but you'd have to find some pretty solid evidence to prove that someone born in Croy and Dalcross married and settled in Ellon.

The naming tradition, if they followed it, might suggest that James' parents were James and Isabel(la).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aliray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 December 23 14:36 GMT (UK) »

Many thanks Forfarian for your help on this ..think I may as well tell the lady there is not much information out there on this subject ....

Kind regards to you

Alison