Author Topic: Whiskey Distiller- William Williams -Clonmel,Tipperary, Waterford, Ireland 1848  (Read 215 times)

Offline steviepeas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Has anyone information that may help me identifiing,  the Whiskey distillers of the Counties in Ireland of Tipperary, Waterford, etc where a distiller called William Williams practised his dark art? He is mentioned on the wedding certificate of Fanny Morton when she married, his son John Williams,  regt number 2055, a soldier in the 3rd Foot East Kent Regiment Buffs, stationed in Ireland at the time.  Any assistance or pointers is very much appreciated
Morton - Tipperary, Longford/Clonmel Ireland
Gallatley - Ireland,
Brownbill - Liverpool, Prescot
Burberry - Dorking
Bonnyman - Elgin/Buckie/St Albans

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskey Distiller- William Williams -Clonmel,Tipperary, Waterford, Ireland 1848
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 23 17:14 GMT (UK) »
This marriage?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1848/09344/5383497.pdf
If correct it says William Williams was a farmer.

Given that he was in the Army are you sure John Williams was from Ireland?

Offline steviepeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskey Distiller- William Williams -Clonmel,Tipperary, Waterford, Ireland 1848
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 December 23 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Ah! Got that one wrong, William Willams was a farmer...... :( I know John Williams retired from the army following a distinguished career and ended his days as a servant in Hampshire at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Hound with Fanny Morton and the census of 1871 states he was born in Ireland. The distiller was another member of the family William Gellatley, my mistake. I have failed to find John Williams birth baptism or anything meaningful apart from the regiment of foot, The buffs being stationed in Birr, Templemore and Cork barracks. (Nat Archives ref WO 12/2141). He was still wounded at the battle of the Redan in Crimea in 1855 with distinction and was still in the army in 1861 at a census in Kent, he then appeared in Hound at the RVH until his death in 1895. Its the early part that flummoxes me. Apologies for misleading info re William Williams.
Gallatley - Ireland,
Burberry - Dorking

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 December 23 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Are you looking for a distiller or William Williams from Co Tipperary/Offaly? 
Part of my grandmother's family comes Nenagh/Clough Jordan/Birr etc.  They are Protestants, reputed to have settled in that part of Ireland as part of Cromwell's Army.   Other family membes have done research. Not saying there is any connection with the wedding certificate but I note  that they married in a Church of Ireland church.

Offline steviepeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 December 23 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, I’m looking for William Williams a farmer, father of John Williams a member of the 3rd Foot East Kent Regiment(the Buffs.) stationed in Birr, Etc John Williams married my  Great aunt Fanny in 1848 in Carrick on Suir,
The distiller is a Peter Gellatley. Unrelated and my mistake for mixing him up with WilliamWilliams. We think my great aunt was Protestant as her brother, Johnston Morton is seen at several weddings as witness and also married in a Protestant church in Clonmel. So they might be a protestant family as might the Williams. Interesting connection possibly with your Williams in Birr etc.
Gallatley - Ireland,
Burberry - Dorking

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 December 23 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Apologies, I’m looking for William Williams a farmer, father of John Williams a member of the 3rd Foot East Kent Regiment(the Buffs.) stationed in Birr, Etc John Williams married my  Great aunt Fanny in 1848 in Carrick on Suir,

Have you found John Williams in any census, eg if he served in Kent later in his career? That should show where he was born. Likewise, his military records might show a place of birth.  Farmers don’t move around much so finding John’s place of birth should lead you to his father, and perhaps to baptism records.

William Williams is a name found all over the British Isles, so you need to try and find some documentary record showing the right area to search.
Elwyn

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 December 23 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Ah! Got that one wrong, William Willams was a farmer...... :( I know John Williams retired from the army following a distinguished career and ended his days as a servant in Hampshire at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Hound with Fanny Morton and the census of 1871 states he was born in Ireland. The distiller was another member of the family William Gellatley, my mistake. I have failed to find John Williams birth baptism or anything meaningful apart from the regiment of foot, The buffs being stationed in Birr, Templemore and Cork barracks. (Nat Archives ref WO 12/2141). He was still wounded at the battle of the Redan in Crimea in 1855 with distinction and was still in the army in 1861 at a census in Kent, he then appeared in Hound at the RVH until his death in 1895. Its the early part that flummoxes me. Apologies for misleading info re William Williams.

Do you have a link to the censuses of 18611871 you mention please.  I am having trouble locating them.

Offline steviepeas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 December 23 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Gallatley - Ireland,
Burberry - Dorking

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo