Author Topic: Where do I go next?  (Read 779 times)

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I go next?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 December 23 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking at the original marriage record for him in Millbrook, to see the names of the witnesses to the marriage?

There is a William Knight death registered in 1844 in Southampton. Aged 71. Vol 07, page 138. registered in the September quarter.

See the previous threads as posted by  jc26red.  The witnesses were Sarah COGWELL and James MARTIN.

Debra  :D

I was trying to first look up the info from scratch, and to see if I could find a scan of the original marriage register on Anc or FindMyPast first, to save me having to spend several minutes wading through years old threads. Could not find one, so I assume Millbrook is not yet included in the new Hants collections on Anc unless I am missing something.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 29 December 23 22:59 GMT (UK) »
A shoe Last can also be a wooden former, often shaped and adjustable to match a specific persons foot.

A Cordwainer, a maker of fine shoes, would have wooden lasts made specifically to match a regular clients feet.

On a main road in my home town in East Riding of Yorkshire  you could see a man sitting cross legged in his bay window busily working on leather shoes.  He was a bespoke shoemaker and when I married I learnt that my new brother in law always bought his shoes from that man.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Where to Go Next Wiliam Knight, born I believe in Hampshire
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 December 23 10:48 GMT (UK) »
There is an apprenticeship for a William Knight in 1790 to Thomas King, a patten maker of Portsea.  Unfortunately no indication of William's parentage or place of origin. 

This might fit with your William's age and it is possible that William went on to last making as well.

To assist others, the reference for the 1841 census is HO107/417  Book 6/35 p 22.  William was recorded as born in county.

Nell

This one would go to the top of the research list.

Being Apprenticed to a Pattern Maker would give him the skills to use to make the Wooden Shoe Patterns that Shoemakers and Cordwainers use.

Trivia.
In the context of the Apprenticeship a Pattern is possibly a shaped wooden former that is made to be used in the metal casting industry.  Casting sand is laid around the pattern in a mound and the pattern is then removed and molten metal, probably Iron, is poured into space where the pattern was.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 31 December 23 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Biggles, thank you for the support with regard to the apprenticeship record.

If I may say, there is a difference between a patten (as in my post above) and a pattern.  You are correct about patterns, but pattens are quite specifically made for the feet!  Check out the website of the Worshipful Company of pattenmakers:

https://www.pattenmakers.co.uk/

There are a couple of illustrations of pattens there.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk