Author Topic: Welsh quilt  (Read 356 times)

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Welsh quilt
« on: Thursday 28 December 23 20:12 GMT (UK) »
  Not sure if this is the right place for this. The picture is in our W.I. archive, and there seems to be a vague idea that the quilt was made by members and presented to the lady in the centre. I have just come across a press report (1933) of a meeting where that same lady exhibited a beautiful quilt made by wives of Welsh miners, presumably men working in the Kent coalfield. Could this be that quilt? Was there a particular style of Welsh quilting?

Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh quilt
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 23 10:58 GMT (UK) »
The ladies' fashion is typical of the the 1930s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 December 23 11:42 GMT (UK) »
It looks very much like  a Welsh quilt design.

Described here in comparison to a Durham design:

http://welshquilts.blogspot.com/2012/01/difference-between-welsh-and-durham.html

Welsh quilts usually had a central motif, either a circular "coin" or a diamond. This central area was enclosed by double or triple lines to form a "field". Fans or other motifs echoed the centre coin, and spirals were used as filling devices.

A further one, two or three borders, also enclosed by double or triple lines, surrounded the central field. Common border motifs include leaves, spirals, church windows, tulips and many geometrical designs. But feathers were not to be found on these quilts.

Leaves and spirals were very common motifs on Welsh quilts. The wool wadding made the designs stand out well in relief.

Chevrons, fans and twists were well liked...the fields were marked in chalk when the quilt was in the frame, then templates were used for the major motifs, with the rest being marked in freehand.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 23 11:57 GMT (UK) »
  Thanks Gadget; I am pleased to have that confirmation. I don't recognise anyone in the pictures except the lady of the manor, so I guess some of them were the women who made it. (I didn't actually know any of the 1930s W.I. members, but I have looked at a lot of pictures!)
   I think I must contact the local Mining Heritage Museum.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 23 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Aw aren't they beautiful Gadget, we saw some in a shop window a couple of years ago when we were in Harlech. The main exhibit had won an award  and if I remember right the lady who had made was well known and in her 80s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 23 16:58 GMT (UK) »
They are amazing - think of all the work that goes into them!

And the ladies are definitely 1930s, as you said  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline WelshGen

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 December 23 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Link is to current Lampeter quilt malers https://www.welshquilts.com/
Welsh Quilt Museum https://museum.wales/articles/1173/The-Quilt-Collection/
Jones, Parry, Williams on Lleyn, Hughes, Thomas on Anglesey/Caernarvonshire, Blunt, Davies, Lee in Dudley, Staffs
Cox, Humphreys and Keech, Bedford
My website http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/