Author Topic: Eliza Cooke born Kent circa 1799  (Read 336 times)

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eliza Cooke born Kent circa 1799
« on: Thursday 28 December 23 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Eliza COOKE was probably born in Kent to a John and Ann. Eliza is believed to have had a sister Sophia who married in Isfield on Xmas day  1820 to Jacob WELLS when she is a named as a witness. She later married Francis WELCH in Isfield on 17 Dec 1822 and had a family of 8 children. In 1841 she is with the family in Frant, Sussex, declaring she was not born in Sussex. Sophia Cooke was baptised in Loose in 1803 to John and Ann Cooke. No  obvious marriage entry for John and Ann has been identified.
Eliza''s baptism was not in Chartham, because it is a different John and Ann COOK/COOKE.
Eliza's death has not been proven, but is thought to be the North Aylesford registered death in 1848, where the age was declared as 49. Francis WELCH occupation was a woolstapler, and Jacob WELLS a paper maker, who had worked in the Maidstone area, and his family had also been in Maidstone as he travelled around the home conties at various paper Mills. His and his wife Sophia's where abouts at all census entries has been found, and there is no indication of any clue to the COOKE family.
So the question, is whether there is a likely baptism of Eliza COOKE/COOK 1798/9 in Kent, whether there may be additional siblings, and of any John COOKE to Ann marriages.
Questions we have considered, was John COOKE involved in papermaking as well. The proximity of the Maidstone Mills certainly the reason for Sophia's husband being there.
I have been looking at the occurrence of a Maria COOK  bborn circa 1800 marrying a John MORRIS in Goudhurst , as a feasible sibling, They had a daughter Sophia in 1828, her birth place declared as Maidstone in census entries.
We do have 2 DNA links to daughters of Eliza to the WELLS descendants of Sophia .

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza Cooke born Kent circa 1799
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 December 23 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Though perhaps a little early, have you considered the marriage of John COOKE and Ann CULLEN in Maidstone on 29 May 1778?
https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5817edb7e93790eb7fd7de50

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
:Eliza Cooke born Kent circa 1799
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 December 23 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Has to be considered, that's now on the list to expand, thank you.
Looking further on the database. Eliza is confirmed as the daughter of John and Ann COOK, from her daughter Harriet WELCH's Methodist baptism . I had not seen that record before. Having previously transcribed for FreReg, I should have checked periodically.
There was a possibility that Eliza was a cousin rather than sister of Sophia, but that snippet of data pretty much confirms.
I know the Maidstone area parish records are not complete.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 December 23 18:26 GMT (UK) »
A couple of possible relevant baptisms

July 13th 1819 Loose          Francis Welch     Eliza Cook
February 1826 Goudhurst   Henry    Francis & Eliza Welch
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 23 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, but could you clarify the 1819 baptism.

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 23 08:01 GMT (UK) »
I see all the Loose , Kent nr Maidstone baptisms are nicely transcribed and available on  an uploadable file.( missing years 1804 -1813)
13th July 1819 baptism of  Francis WELCH ( does not say son of )  Eliza COOK ? . I think this might suggest COOKE .
I don't think this is an earlier child before they married in 1822,, but just before their marriage son Francis WELCH was baptised in Goudhurst 6 May 1821, 18 months before their marriage in Isfield.
The 1861 and 1871 census declared age imply a birth 1822, the 1871 census 1820. He is not yet identified in 1851.
His death in June qtr 1885 has an age of 65 declared.
The Maria (Mary Ann) Born circa 1800 who married John MORRIS is getting interesting, as I have someone with that family flagging up as a DNA match, I will update when more detail understood.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 December 23 08:31 GMT (UK) »

13th July 1819 baptism of  Francis WELCH ( does not say son of )  Eliza COOK ? . I think this might suggest COOKE .
I don't think this is an earlier child before they married in 1822,, but just before their marriage son Francis WELCH was baptised in Goudhurst 6 May 1821, 18 months before their marriage in Isfield.

I wouldn't dismiss it.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Maria COOK b Maidstone according to the 1851 census married John MORRIS in Goudhurst, they had a family of 14 of which 7 had families.One of their daughters is named Sophia, another Ann Cook MORRIS.
DNA matches with a handful of descendants from 3 of the 7 families are occurring with a researcher descended from Eliza COOK.
Further more, DNA links are being picked up for descendents of Wiliam COOK and Charlotte DAY from Burhsm.
Their first child  b 1789 was  John . It very possible he is the father of
Eliza, Maria and Sophia.