Author Topic: Ancestry DNA ISle of MAn  (Read 229 times)

Offline BigTrev52

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA ISle of MAn
« on: Friday 29 December 23 06:53 GMT (UK) »
A couple of years ago I had my  DNA tested by Ancestry. It was pretty accurate when I compared it to the family tree I had built. However, there is one question that I have. 65% of my DNA is England and  the Channel Islands including Northwestern Europe. at this stage I have not been able to find any link to the Isle of Man. My GG Grandfather, John Ellis, was born in Colne Manchester in 1802. His mother was Ann Ellis but no father was listed. I believe that her father was John Ellis also, but no mother listed. I am unsure if he is the link to the Isle of Man or not but would love to find which set of relatives came from there.

There is a rumour that the Cosier part of my family came to England around 1565 from France as Heugenot refugees. The Cosiers were in England for many generations but I am finding it very hard to track him through.

If anyone can provide any help to these problems, I would be very grateful. John  Ellis was sentenced to 7 years for Larceny and sent to New South Wales as a convict to Norfolk ISland. There were some thoughts he was born in Wales but in the 1851 census, i  England, he was in YASS NSW with his wife and 2 children. He was swept away in a flood at Yass in 1852, along with 89 other folk.

I live in Beverley Park, Sydney NSW. Australia

Thanks in advance

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA ISle of MAn
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 December 23 09:02 GMT (UK) »
As I said in your other (duplicate) thread, the Isle of Man is NOT in the Channel Islands?
It's like saying Norfolk Island is part of Tasmania :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA ISle of MAn
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 December 23 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Ethnicity is an Estimate so do not relay on it to be super accurate.

Both my Wife and I have “Northwest England & IoM” in the predictions yet both of us have Zero ancestors within the last 250 years who have origins in the IoM.

Its just the gene pool that Ancestry uses to estimate a match to a specific region.

If you want help post more info on Ellis ie his birth year and location if known