Author Topic: How does one stop certain hints from beihg presented again and again in Ancestry  (Read 652 times)

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi,
I know this is a bit of a weird question as people love to find new family members. However........

I have an extensive personal tree on my private computer as most of you do.
Most of the information on that has been found by researching , not by accepting hints wily-nilly.

Foe example:  I have some relatively distant cousins whose information I have has for years. Ancestry keeps telling me that these 40 people are my family.  Yes, but I already know.   I don't need the ggt grandfather of cousin xyz's wife.

All I want to do is stop these 40 names most of whom I don't need or care about, being shoved in my face. 

I can say I recognise them but Ancestry will then add them to my tree which I do not want or need.

These are not the only ones. 

Any ideas on how to do this would be appreciated.

Essnell

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How does one stop certain hints from beihg presented again and again in Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 December 23 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Are you referring to the hint icon with drop down listing  in the top bar or the same icon attached to individuals in your tree diagram  or the hints  in the individual details page?

You have the option, in each case, not to click on them or just ignore them if clicked on.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How does one stop certain hints from beihg presented again and again in Ancestry
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 December 23 17:55 GMT (UK) »
If you go to tree settings  and scroll to tree hints, you can turn off member, potential relatives not in tree and  and  the new indicators hint (top of page)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Peter L. Mitchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 December 23 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Essnell.

Gadget has given you her usual excellent advice, and I can't add to that as I stopped using Ancestry years ago because too many people post material without checking it for authenticity. One clown even had a family tree that showed my wife's great-great uncle still working as a lorry driver at the impressive age of 122 years old.

I believe that anything you post there automatically becomes the property of Ancestry. Perhaps another reason to be careful when using it?

Good luck!

Peter

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 December 23 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Ancestry communications can become increasingly annoying and they ought to be a way of stopping them. I assume that the o/p is referring to emails (?).

I’m sick of deleting those with hints when they claim to have found, say, a document when they’ve actually found it on my tree. I’m also sick of being told to hurry and take up their incredible offer of a DNA test for £59.95 when I’ve deleted their identical weekly offers for the last five years. The most despicable ones are those which try to sell me a DNA test as a gift for mother’s day when my tree clearly indicates that she died nearly ten years ago.

I suppose we should bear in mind that it’s actually the “Ancestry Marketing Company” and everything is for their benefit and not ours.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 December 23 22:33 GMT (UK) »
I've never had any e-mails from Ancestry about my trees, Ray.
It's usually, as I said in my first post-

See Ancestry Hints ~

https://support.ancestry.co.uk/s/article/Ancestry-Hints

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 December 23 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
Thankyou Gadget, RayT and Peter L

i will have a look at your suggestions. It would be nice not to have these keep coming up.
I feel that they are just pushing for information and it's often about close relatives as well . never distant ones that might be useful. 

Essnell

Offline WelshGen

• RootsChat Senior
  • http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 December 23 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Sounds far too easy a problem to solve to me. Click on the green leaf hint, if it's a hint you don't want, when it comes up ... click ''Ignore'' It shouldn't come up again  :)
Jones, Parry, Williams on Lleyn, Hughes, Thomas on Anglesey/Caernarvonshire, Blunt, Davies, Lee in Dudley, Staffs
Cox, Humphreys and Keech, Bedford
My website http://www.spanglefish.com/welshgenealogy/