Author Topic: How does one go about getting your great-grandmothers birth certificate?  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How does one go about getting your great-grandmothers birth certificate?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 December 23 13:49 GMT (UK) »
The birth certificates available from the GRO do not give the witness names/signatures.

Usually the town where a person was born has a webpage giving instruction on how to obtain birth records.

For instance my home town has a page with lists of births but when I wanted a b irth c ert from another town I had to fill in blank spaces on a web page.

Were you born in Africa Rena?  This query is relating to a 1914 birth in Africa so the GRO website won't help.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 31 December 23 17:04 GMT (UK) »
If your great grandmother's parents were British, she might appear in the GRO's Overseas Births index. This can be viewed at The Genealogist, but I'm not sure about other sites.

If she's in that, you can apply for a copy of the certificate from the GRO using a slightly different procedure from normal.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 January 24 03:41 GMT (UK) »
The birth certificates available from the GRO do not give the witness names/signatures.

Usually the town where a person was born has a webpage giving instruction on how to obtain birth records.

For instance my home town has a page with lists of births but when I wanted a b irth c ert from another town I had to fill in blank spaces on a web page.

Were you born in Africa Rena?  This query is relating to a 1914 birth in Africa so the GRO website won't help.

Pheno

Nope -  I should have read every piece of this thread - or possibly not stopped to waste people's time..

I do have a 19th century marriage, death and a birth in the Cape Colony, Africa, and I got most of the information from the church images shown on familysearch.

Other people on rootschat helped me solve the very faint writing.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Selenity

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 11 January 24 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the advice, I have looked into all the resources you all have provided but alas my mother's side of the family is hard to find. Looks like for the birth certificates I will have to go to the home affairs office and hope for the best. Once again thank you to everyone who took the time to reply.