Author Topic: Trying to locate Marriage information of David Ruddell 1813-1896 Peacefield Arma  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate Marriage information of David Ruddell 1813-1896 Peacefield Arma
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 09:49 GMT (UK) »
is it just coincidence that John Ruddell died at Edward Street, the same address Bridget Malone is living in 1901, and Elizabeth his widow is living there with her children in 1911, and this same Bridget Malone was Davids house keeper , there's more to it than that , maybe she was Catholic and they couldn't marry, perhaps she didn't want to marry him, or vice versa, I would be looking for Johns birth to mother Bridget Malone ,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate Marriage information of David Ruddell 1813-1896 Peacefield Arma
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Bridget Malone also leaves a will, have you accessed this will
primary beneficiary William John Fleming, estate agent
 .secondry John Ruddle grocers assistant

PRONI Will Calendars https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/willsSearchResultsDetails.aspx

Probate of the Will of Bridget Malone late of Edward Street Lurgan County Armagh Widow who died 24 November 1909 granted at Armagh to William John Fleming Estate Agent and John Ruddell Grocer's Assistant.
Date of Grant :   5 January 1910
Effects :   Effects £83 14s. 6d.

Both William John Fleming and John Ruddell were Executors of the will.
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/WillsCalendar_IE/WillsSearchImage.aspx?id=262776

by the time of the 1911 census ,and after Bridget's death
Eliza Ruddell aged 50 widow
Elizabeth Buckley, aged 24 , daughter
John Ruddell aged 23 son, commercial traveller
Joseph Ruddell aged 15 son,
Patrick Buckley aged 2 Grandson,
are living 48 Edward Street Lurgan, 

Link-
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Armagh/Lurgan_Urban/Edward_Street/295455/
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001582615/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 10:14 GMT (UK) »
I don't have subs for Newspapers but I can search, and William John Fleming advertises for sale in 1918 That valuable residence known as  Peacefield and farm and land
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline KR500

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 16:24 GMT (UK) »
is it just coincidence that John Ruddell died at Edward Street, the same address Bridget Malone is living in 1901, and Elizabeth his widow is living there with her children in 1911, and this same Bridget Malone was Davids house keeper , there's more to it than that , maybe she was Catholic and they couldn't marry, perhaps she didn't want to marry him, or vice versa, I would be looking for Johns birth to mother Bridget Malone ,

Radcliff; 
Thank you for your reply and thoughts about possible reasons for the lack of a marriage, I began research several years ago with these same questions after reading the 2 census entries and Wills.
Religion factors or a missing spouse that can’t be located are possible reasons
I noted that Bridget Malone is listed in her Will as Widower. Does that signify a Marriage ?
Agreed that searching for the birth of John Ruddell ( 1855-1906 ) needs to continue although thus far I haven't found any records.
The letter from Rev. David Frederick Ruddell Wilson ( 1871-1957 ) to our late father William R.Ruddell in 1947 is attached below .
Rev. David Frederick Wilson was named by his mother as a tribute to David and Frederick Ruddell of Peacefield.
David Ruddell’s brother Frederick was a bachelor
This letter confused the issue for my research and currently I have no idea who the Great Aunt Sarah mentioned by Rev. Wilson in tandem with Great Uncle David.
There is mention of his Mother Letitia Ferris being raised by her Great Uncle and Great Aunt David and Sarah at David Ruddell Junior ( 1813-1896 ) estate Peacefield.
I have a scan of the original letter but I transcribed it here to make it more legible
Rev. Wilson's mother Letitia Ferris ( 1840-1927) grew up and was raised at David Ruddell Jr's Peacefield when her mother passed away, probably in childbirth .
Letitia Ferris'  Mother was Hester Ruddell ( 1811-1841) who passed away the year Letitia was born.
Hester (Ruddell) Ferris was sister of David Ruddell Jnr.
Letitia Ferris' father Thompson Ferris ( 1804-1886 ) and his sons moved to Ballerat Australia when Hester died in 1840. I think Thompson served in the UK Merchant Marine.
I messaged a couple of that families Australian descendants an introductory note at their Ancestry.com page but have received no response

( Copy ) From the Dean of St. Patrick’s The Deanery Dublin

27 January 1947

My dear cousin;
I am not sure of our ( exact ? ) relationship but that is a small matter.
My grandmother , my dear mothers’ mother was a Ruddell of Peacefield.
I think she must have died while my mother was a young girl as I never remember her speaking about her mother- but of her aunt Sarah who brought her up - as my mothers’ father with his sons emigrated to Ballerat Australia while she was a  child , her life at Peacefield was very happy - although she had no young friends.
The Ruddells of old are buried in the old Churchyard of Seagoe - they must have been of some importance as the graves of my Gr. uncle and aunt David and Sarah are in the
chene?l  ( ? ) of the church which has long been in ruins.
It was very nice of you to send the card & greetings at Christmas but I liked most of all the honeymoon snapshot and I hope you two will always be as happy in each other as you seem to be in the picture.
We are having a little snow now for the first time this winter.
My wife and i send you both our love

yours affectionately

David F R Wilson

Offline KR500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Trying to locate Marriage information David Ruddell 1813-1896 Peacefield Armagh
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Monica;

Thank you for posting the links to the Grandchildren of David Ruddell Snr. on page 1
They were very helpful as I hadn't seen their birth registrations before and it allowed me to update my family tree with accurate days and months.
Also, I somehow missed Emily Ruddell and now able to add her information
Very important stuff for me and I appreciate your, and everyone taking the time to help me

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Belfast Newsletter published 28th December 1841,
died
on the 3rd Inst, Hester wife of Thompson  Ferris of Glenavy,
and second daughter of David Ruddell , Peacefield near Lurgan

Offline OUP Jerry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to locate the direct descendents of David Frederick Ruddell Wilson (Dean of St Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin) (1871-1957) with regard to the copyright in the hymn tunes he composed https://hymnary.org/person/Wilson_DavidFR?tab=tunes

These tunes are still in copyright and I'd like to gain permission to reproduce them. Thank you.

Offline KR500

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 April 24 15:01 BST (UK) »
Jerry,

I don’t believe Rev. Wilson had any children with his wife, who I think was named Maria.
After reviewing his letters to our father I will post a comment if I see her name there to confirm.
The Rev. was our fathers second cousin removed twice if I remember correctly