Author Topic: Trying to locate Marriage information of David Ruddell 1813-1896 Peacefield Arma  (Read 1123 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate Marriage information of David Ruddell 1813-1896 Peacefield Arma
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 January 24 20:17 GMT (UK) »

Reading through David's will's many pages mentions the mother of their only child John Ruddell 1855-1906, but no name

In what context did David Ruddell mention the mother? Did he leave something to her in his will?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to locate Marriage information of David Ruddell 1813-1896 Peacefield Arma
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 January 24 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Belfast Morning News
dated Jan 22nd 1858
January 18th at Peacefield, Mrs Ruddell
relict of the late David Ruddell, esq,at the advanced age of 90 years
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 January 24 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Leticia daughter of the late John Patton of Newton Arts  and Granddaughter of the Late David Ruddell of Peacefield near Portadown
married April 25 th 1858  to Anthony Cowdy,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 January 24 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Belfast Daily News Letter May 16th 1888
May 15th ,at his residence ,Rosevale Killealy,Killead,
David Ruddell, late of Smithfield Belfast,
His remains will be removed for internment in Seagoe,
tomorrow,(Thursday) morning at nine o'clock ,passing through Lurgan,at 12,
friends please accept this only intimation,
when you look at his death certificate , he was a married man aged 74 years a merchant , death reported by his wife M A Ruddell death occurred on the 15 th

This David is listed as living Smithfield in 1852 directories

Offline KR500

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to locate Marriage information David Ruddell 1813-1896 Peacefield Armagh
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 January 24 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Radcliff;

Many thanks for replying to my post and giving so many links
I surely appreciate it
Regarding the same named married David Ruddell of Belfast who operated and advertised a used and new furniture store in Belfast >
That is a different D.R. person from David Ruddell of Peacefield and Lurgan/Portadown/Ballinacorr that is buried in Seagoe Cemetery Lurgan
The death notice of elderly Mrs. David Ruddell February 1858 is the mother of David Ruddell Junior 1813-1896
In the PRONI Will of David Ruddell Jnr. his son John Ruddell is always named "my son" and on Page 15 there is a sentence about legacies couched in legal terms of the time, that states "John Ruddell my son, and his Mother".
No name or property, rents, or pounds mentioned
Most of the other 20 pages of his will are divisions of money and property amongst son John Ruddell and his many children and grandchildren.
Also Nieces and his Housekeeper are beneficiaries amongst all the legal contingencies, ages, marital status etc of the will.
I am trying to understand why my 2nd Great Grandfather David Ruddell (1813-1896) was listed as a Bachelor, with his son John Ruddell (1855-1906) an only child ? Maybe he adopted John  ?
Raised John because of death of parent ? Orphan ?
David Ruddell Jnr. would have been 42 at the time John Ruddell, his son was born

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 January 24 23:58 GMT (UK) »
is he the son of the house keeper and David, and as such David recognised him as his son,

Offline KR500

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 00:08 GMT (UK) »
is he the son of the house keeper and David, and as such David recognised him as his son,

That was something I pondered over when first beginning my research years ago although it seems out of character for a religious cornerstone of the community at that time
I don’t think Divorce was an option then, so if someone was married but alone for an unusual circumstance ….
It seems Bridget would have been buried with her son John Snr. in the same plot ?
I have found out very little about Bridget Malone but need to look again to see if anything else has surfaced
She is shown as head of the household in the 1901 census at the correct address in Lurgan with granddaughter Emily Ruddle 17 and grandson John Ruddle age 14 residing there
The Grandchildren have similar names but misspelled, which could be a transcription  error
I don’t think Emily was a sibling from the family but that could also be a transcription error for Eliza, Emma etc.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Armagh/Lurgan_Urban/Hill/1025563/

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 09:00 GMT (UK) »
24 th November 1909
at Edward Street Lurgan,
Bridget Malone
widow of a Farmer,
aged 80 years
death registered on the 3rd of December 1909 by her  daughter in law  Eliza Ruddle,
I did note the 1901 states she is widowed ,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Bridget Malone also leaves a will, have you accessed this will
primary beneficiary William John Fleming, estate agent
 .secondry John Ruddle grocers assistant
date of death 24 th November 1909
Armagh
===============
by the time of the 1911 census ,and after Bridget's death
Eliza Ruddell aged 50 widow
Elizabeth Buckley, aged 24 , daughter
John Ruddell aged 23 son, commercial traveller
Joseph Ruddell aged 15 son,
Patrick Buckley aged 2 Grandson,
are living 48 Edward Street Lurgan,