Author Topic: Werner Porzig Died 2010, British Columbia  (Read 277 times)

Offline AntonP

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Werner Porzig Died 2010, British Columbia
« on: Sunday 31 December 23 03:10 GMT (UK) »
I have been studying the earlier life up to 1945 of Werner Porzig, born Meerane, Germany in 1919.
I believe he died in BC in 2010 leaving a large family.

I would love to find out more about his life after his MI5 (British Secret Service) operation in June 1945. He seems to have had an extremely eventful young life.

We might be very vaguely related. My Porzig great grandfather and his siblings were born in a village Haselbach, not too far away. While the siblings continued living in the region, my grand father left Germany in very late 1870s.

I would be grateful if any of his family would like to contact me and tell me about the rest of his life  My interest is purely to complete a family story about a most interesting man.
Anton

Offline AntonP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Werner Porzig Died 2010, British Columbia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 23 03:42 GMT (UK) »
I should add that his parents were Paul and Flora Porzig. Werner went to the local school until 1933. He might have had a sibling but I am not sure of this.
Anton

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 December 23 11:20 GMT (UK) »

Can I ask how you know he passed away in British Columbia 2010 ?

Not anything turning up in British Columbia. Others may have better luck in finding him.

U.S., Select Crew Lists and Manifests, 1903-1962

Werner Porzig - Nationality   German
Arrival Age   19 - Arrival Place Galveston Texas. 11 August 1938 from the Port of Hamburg, via other Ports Honduras 7-8-38
Occupation   Ordinary Seaman - Employment Start Date   24 Jun 1938 - Employment Place   Mesita - Port   Galveston - Vessel Kiel.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 December 23 12:22 GMT (UK) »

Maybe more background details in this May 2023 post for those helping to search

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=873092.msg7446340

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline AntonP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 December 23 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Sandra
Thank you for getting back to me about my search.
I have been given this info on his death and life in Canada from a supposed obituary in 'The Times Colonist'. Some of the detail in the obituary of his ww2 experience was correct in that he served in the German military, he was anti nazi and got into trouble. There was other info that was incorrect but could have been his story to his family to cover his British SOE and very brief (maybe) MI5 service in Germany. In fact he was captured after DDay by the Canadians who handed him over to the British and he had a brief service in the SOE until the end of the war when he was sent back to Germany. I have copies of his German military and SOE service records.
The obituary comment that he moved to Canada could make some sense as it was the Canadians that captured him in France.
The obituary mentions a successful business career and a wife and 4 children surviving him.
I wonder if this information is of any help or am I just going down a rabbit hole!
Anton

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 December 23 13:06 GMT (UK) »

Are the names mentioned in the obit ?  If so can you send by pm ?

Sandra

Offline AntonP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 December 23 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Sandra, sorry no further information available to me.
I was wondering if there are any 'Porzig' families in Canadian records? if not it seems I have wrong information.

Offline AntonP

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Werner Porzig Died 2010, British Columbia Topic completed
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 04:01 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately it appears the information given me is completely incorrect as regards WP living in Canada. Thank you Sandra for help establishing this.
Anton.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 06:04 GMT (UK) »
If you do receive other information, come back and we can have another look.  :-\
Its an unusual name but despite trying surname variations nothing even remotely close
turned up after those seaman sightings.  I wonder, could he have changed his name, that wasn't as unusual as you would think ?

All the best
Sandra