Author Topic: relationships  (Read 656 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: relationships
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 January 24 02:37 GMT (UK) »
 I think it depends on your  family dynamics .

My uncle was still my uncle, (and I niece to him),  and I still refer to him this way ( he died  a couple of years ago) even though he and his wife divorced ( my bio Aunt, my parent's  sibling). He will always be my uncle,and not an ex uncle.

My parents referred to him as their brother in law  too even after my aunt split up with him. They kept in close touch as he was a  loved part of our family. They were married for years and years  , but sadly  broke  up after about 30 odd years  of marriage .
 I think of him as  very much my uncle, and not an ex uncle. He is my uncle, and father  of my 1st  cousins ,Why wouldn't he  still be my uncle?

My grandmother ( and grandfather)  loved him and treated him like a son, and this didn't  change when her daughter split up from him. He was still her son in law, none of  my family including myself thought of him as an ex uncle, son in law, brother in-law.
 It all depends on your own family dynamics , but  my uncle will always be  my uncle, and not an ex uncle.
It really  depends on everyone's own circumstances.

Kind regards :)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 January 24 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Family dynamics:  My uncle was divorced from his wife when I was about 8, no children.  She was a primary school teacher who had played with me delightfully, suggested reading and arithmetic books, so had influence on my education.

When I was about 26 I encountered her in the course of my work.  I think she knew where I was working, I had her name and address in front of me, she said very diffidently "Do you know who I am?".

"Of course I do Aunty M."
Invitation to tea, friendship revived.  Sadly she died of a stroke about eight years later.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 January 24 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Depends upon how the Niece feels about the relationship.

My Wife’s Ex is still referred to by his Nephew and Nieces (by Marriage) as Uncle.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 January 24 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Happy New Year to all.
My wife has a brother John( my brother in law?).
John has a daughter Gillian (my niece?)
If my wife and I divorce, is Gillian still my niece?
Thanks

I would say its down to how you got/get on with your ex - niece in law - on a one to one niece/uncle in law base and John's family as a person  (not just you as John's sisters ex husband)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline hencarrai

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 January 24 11:34 GMT (UK) »
ok, thanks everyone for your input. All sensible comments.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 January 24 12:06 GMT (UK) »
On the same vein, I have a family member who was in a similar situation to the then Prince Charles.
Was he a widower or a divorcee when before he marries Camilla ?
Prince Charles was a divorcee, as Diana was still alive at the time of the divorce. If she had been dead, there would have been no reason for a divorce. 
The ex-partner's state of health has no bearing on the remaining partner. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 January 24 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I had an uncle John (Dads brother in Yorkshire) his wife, my in law aunt Emily who was sister in law to my mother, ( so Emily and mum were wives of two brothers) My mother came to Yorkshire as a maid about 17 years old 1925 from a mining village in Derbyshire, so had no family here in Yorkshire and my aunt Emily came from another part of Yorkshire as a maid also with no relatives here.. Over the years Emily and mum became like true sisters, mum used to visit Emily's family and Emily visited Mums family in Derbyshire who became friends with mums brothers and sisters and visa-versa mum got friendly with Emily's brothers and sisters or both accepted as another sibling to each others families.

Therefore it about people how they get on with each other -not always family connections..
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 09:44 GMT (UK) »
As your ex is no longer your wife, then your former family relationships also ‘disappear out the window.’   ;)
Some may do, but your children are still yours, are they not ? (if there are any, of course).

Lol..., exception to the 'rule.'  Interesting.   ;)
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT