Author Topic: Kingston Blount, Oxon  (Read 295 times)

Offline Tinxie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kingston Blount, Oxon
« on: Sunday 31 December 23 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know the name of the Bake House owned by Harold Fowler Edwards in 1942 in Kingston Bount, Oxon. His brother Ivan and wife Victoria used to run it for him. Any photographs would be a bonus. Thank you

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kingston Blount, Oxon
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 24 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tinxie and welcome toRootschat, sorry I can't answer your question right now, but this will bring it back up the board.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 24 23:31 GMT (UK) »

Hi Tinxie,

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

I found this Facebook Group about Kingston Blount. You could try asking there, they might be able to help.

Regards,
Daisy
All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Welcome from me too!

Ivan Archibald EDWARDS and his wife Victoria are easy to find in 1939 - he is a baker in Hayes and Harlington area of London.

I can't find any particular reference to them in newspapers of the time linking them to a bakery in Kingston Blount. However, there are death notices for Gertrude Alice BRINSDEN  of Oakley Bakery, Kingston Blount in April 1940. A possibility? Most likely run by "Robert OAKLEY and son" in the late 1920s.

Robert OAKLEY died in 1923, his son George, retired baker, seems to be bankrupt in 1936.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 01:02 GMT (UK) »
From the 1891 and 1901 census for Robert OAKLEY and family in Kingston Blount, the bakehouse seems to be 4 doors down from the Shoulder of Mutton Hotel.

There is another baker in 1901 and 1911 in Kingston Blount - Hubert MAY. He is 2 doors up from the Cherry Tree Inn. It looks like he died in 1932.

In 1901, there is also a vacant bakehouse near the Royal Oak.

Not much help I'm afraid. Will try to find some connection to the EDWARDS around 1942.  :)

Offline Tinxie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for replying to my post. Your time and effort is very much appreciated. Further research shows that Ivan and Victoria Edwards lived at Oakley House, (The Bakehouse), 1 The Green, Kingston Blount. They moved there on 16th January 1941. This would tie in with Robert Oakley, the baker. I have attached a photo. Many thanks all

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 01:49 GMT (UK) »
That's great Tinxie, lovely cottage.  :)