Author Topic: Thomas elphick  (Read 170 times)

Offline Jcutting

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas elphick
« on: Sunday 31 December 23 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. I'm looking for the name of the ship that took a certain Sussex family to America after 1848 and before 1855.
Thomas elphick from buxted,sussex was born 1801 to John elphick and Mary seaman.
He married is first wife Ann Hartfield in 1824 and had children eleanor 1825 followed her Elizabeth Ann 1828 buxted,Sussex.
His second wife was Hester Davis in dec1833. She was a widow . They had children George 1834, William 1837,Henry 1838 ,Thomas 1840 and Mary Ann 1847. I think there's a John also .
There was a lot of controversy surrounding Thomas born1801 in regards to him being accused of murdering his mother and with  his second wife his illegitimate grandson in 1848 and was surprisingly acquitted for both.
Shortly afterwards the family fled to America and I have found them on various censuses from 1855 there .
I have searched high and low for their passage out and the name of the ship they went to America on but I'm not having any luck with the resources I have .
Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you .

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas elphick
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 24 11:33 GMT (UK) »
I cant help with ship but there was a John;

ELPHICK, JOHN mmn   BENNETT 
GRO Reference: 1844  M Quarter in UCKFIELD  Volume 07  Page 531

+ looks like a unnamed Daughter;
ELPHICK, - mmn BENNETT 
GRO Reference: 1842  J Quarter in UCKFIELD  Volume 07  Page 477
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Jcutting

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas elphick
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 24 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you trish.
John was definitely with them in America.  Maybe the unnamedaughter died as there isn't a reference to her on the American 1955 census.
Thank you for looking .