Author Topic: One last try!  (Read 278 times)

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
One last try!
« on: Sunday 31 December 23 18:40 GMT (UK) »

Since I first joined this lovely Site in 2005, I’ve been trying to find my paternal grandfather (anywhere) before he married my grandmother Margaret Rees in Swansea in June 1893.

On his Marriage Certificate, he said he was William James Wilson, aged 32 years, Occupation: Painter, Father William Wilson (deceased) Occupation: Mason.

On the 1901, 1911 and 1921 Censuses he says that he was born in Manchester, Lancashire in 1860. Ages on the Censuses lead me to believe that he was born in February 1860. I have his Death Certificate, he died on the 29th December 1937, aged 77 years.

Over the years I’ve ordered multiple Birth certificates, but none have fitted. There was a William James Wilson born in Kirkby Ireleth, Lancashire in 1860, but the 1911 Census shows him still single and living at home, and so he can be ruled out.

DNA matches show that I have DNA links to the family of Richard Kean and Frances Butler, both born in Hulme, Manchester in 1832/‘33. For many years I thought that my Grandfather must have been their son Richard Kean, born Hulme 1860. However, recently purchased Death Certificates and Army records show that he was still in the military during WW1, and so cannot have been my Grandfather.

I can only assume that my Grandfather must have been using another name before he married my Grandmother in 1893, but I’m running out of ideas as to where to look next 😔

Any thoughts welcomed!

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: One last try!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 23 18:48 GMT (UK) »

On one of the ancestry trees it gives :-

William (1894 - 1974) with a middle name Havelock

and

Ernest (1897 - 1957) with a middle name Rencella

Do those names have any significance that you know of ?

Happy New Year
Sandra  :)
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 December 23 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes Sandra,

William Havelock and Ernest Rencella Wilson were my late Uncles, both sons of my Grandfather William James Wilson.

I never met Ernest, but I knew William Havelock Wilson well. I still have lots of books that he brought me. I visited him in hospital when he was dying, I wish that I’d asked him about my Grandfather!

Happy New Year to you too 🙂

Romilly
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 December 23 19:01 GMT (UK) »

Did you investigate marriages for William Wilson and a Havelock ?
I just noticed one in Sunderland Dec 1941 - William Wilson and Sarah Havelock but before going further, just wondered if you had gone along that sort of line with those unusual middle names ?

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 December 23 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Sandra, I spent years trying to find links to those middle names, but never found any definite links.

Both William Havelock Wilson and Ernest Rencella Wilson never married.

I suspect that William Havelock Wilson was named as a tribute to Joseph Havelock Wilson, who was the Leader of the Seaman’s Union in Swansea in 1894. I researched Joseph Havelock Wilson’s family in Sunderland, but couldn’t find a link.

However, my late father, Evan Douglas Wilson (1896 - 1957) was Indentured as an Apprentice to the Taylor and Sanderson Steam Shipping Company, based in Sunderland and served with them before joining the RNR as a Midshipman in 1916.

Romilly.
Researching: