Author Topic: Ancestry.com Unwanted Comments Added to My Tree  (Read 786 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry.com Unwanted Comments Added to My Tree
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 January 24 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Not tried this but I believe if you go an another Ancestry user's profile there is an option to block the user - this would presumably stop them leaving comments on your tree.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 January 24 12:22 GMT (UK) »
I have added comments on a tree that is documentably wrong about people in my family after the tree owner ignored my attempts to message him.

I have had similar experiences, one in particular is an incorrect marriage. The tree owner attached their relative as the wife of a cousin of mine, simply because the women  have the same first names. I provided documentary evidence of the correct marriage, also a newspaper account of the wedding in which I am named as a bridesmaid, all of which was ignored.

Now I simply leave a comment, if the tree owner ignores it that  is their loss.  Hopefully, if others look to copying the trees,  see the comments, it's up to them whether or not they check the facts for themselves

I would be very glad if I made an error and someone pointed it out to me, no matter how careful we are we are not perfect and can all make mistakes.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Sandrafamilytree

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 January 24 12:36 GMT (UK) »
I have added comments on a tree that is documentably wrong about people in my family after the tree owner ignored my attempts to message him.

I have had similar experiences, one in particular is an incorrect marriage. The tree owner attached their relative as the wife of a cousin of mine, simply because the women  have the same first names. I provided documentary evidence of the correct marriage, also a newspaper account of the wedding in which I am named as a bridesmaid, all of which was ignored.

Now I simply leave a comment, if the tree owner ignores it that  is their loss.  Hopefully, if others look to copying the trees,  see the comments, it's up to them whether or not they check the facts for themselves

I would be very glad if I made an error and someone pointed it out to me, no matter how careful we are we are not perfect and can all make mistakes.

I so agree with your last sentence!

I would always welcome someone contacting me about possible errors. Apart from having the opportunity to correct my tree, I'd be able to think through where my logic and research might have gone wrong, and hopefully become a better researcher in future.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 January 24 17:04 GMT (UK) »
I once had the wrong person in my tree and someone In Australia pointed it out to me. I was glad of this  I was away on the wrong track
I looked up the marriage and sure enough I did have the wrong person I thanked that person
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth