Author Topic: My Drummond McGregor Connection  (Read 440 times)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My Drummond McGregor Connection
« on: Sunday 31 December 23 21:01 GMT (UK) »
My McGregor Connection
For years I tried to find the parents of my most ancient Drummond ancestor, Josiah, who spent most of his life at Fornought farm in Fowlis Wester. I had thought that the family might have been McGregors who were hiding themselves from the authorities. Recently, with the help of British Ancestry, I find that this indeed was the case.
It appears that Josiah’s father was Donald McGregor Drummond, and his mother was Catharine Ferguson.
I also wondered why use the name Josiah; I could only find a handful of “Josiahs” in Scotlands People.
In Hebrew, it means “God Supports and Heals”, possibly referencing a McGregor birth in the face of the king’s prohibition of the name. There are other records that suggest that this family might have a connection with Rob Roy McGregor. I am presently researching records to see if that might be the case.
I’m wondering if anyone has any other information on a McGregorDrummond connection.
Main, Mitchell; Stirlingshire
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: My Drummond McGregor Connection
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 December 23 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Helpful if you provided a timescale
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 December 23 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Josiah Drummond was born 1731, Perth.
He married Emilia Crearar 6Aug 1762, Fowlis Wester.
They had the following children: John (Isabella McDuff, 1788, my line); Margaret (Mr McDonald, ?when); Catherine (William Morison, 1793); Alexander, b 1769).
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 January 24 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Where is Tombey or Tombusirian?
Donald McGregor Drummond & Catherine Ferguson had several children in these locations between 1717-1723. Does anyone know where these places are located? I suspect around Callander but have not been able to confirm this on old maps.
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 January 24 17:27 GMT (UK) »
If you want to find a place in Scotland you need to know which parish it's in.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=758930.0

In this case the baptisms were actually in the parish of Callander, not 'somewhere around Callander', which should narrow it down a bit.

Do you think that Tombey and Tombusirian are the same place? 

Tombey could be Tombea, which is from Gaelic and means something like 'little hill of the birches'. According to The Place Names of Scotland there was a Tombea in the Pass of Leny, which is a couple of miles west of the town of Callander. I reckon it's the spot spelled Tom Bheithe here https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16.7&lat=56.25144&lon=-4.27418&layers=6&b=1

I can't contort the name Tombusirian into anything resembling Tombey, but could Tombus... be a mistranscription of Cambus... ? Cam(b)us means a bend or meander or a curving beach, so maybe it was a different place altogether.

Can you post clips of the original documents to see what they actually say?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jimmain

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 January 24 23:21 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure how to post clips of the original documents.
I can do this if I know how.
It seems that these names were used somewhat interchangeably.
Drummond; Perth
Florence; Aberdeen

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 January 24 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Jim has sent me the extracts and agreed that I should post them so that we can see what we make of them.

FWIW I am not convinced that the first two are Tombey/Tombey/Tombea - they look like something longer to me.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 07:38 GMT (UK) »
Agree with Forfarian. It’s unlikely to be Tombea. In the second snip the word continues on the next line, forming a word similar to the first and third snips.

I have a transcription by the Clangregor Society of a list of McGregor baptisms for Callander; a small farm in the parish is variously spelt Tombuscrian, Tomskrin, Tomnaskrin, Tomnaskrian, Tombnascrine, Tomnascrin and Tomnaserun.

I haven’t been able to locate it on a map, but according to page 11 of “The Gaelic Place-Names of Callander's Landscape” (https://docslib.org/doc/8336754/the-gaelic-place-names-of-callanders-landscape) there apparently is a “Thomasgreene, on the hills near Braeleny, probably for Tom an Sgriodain (hillock of the scree or stony ravine).” Braeleny is north of Callander, just east of Drummardoch.

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 January 24 11:01 GMT (UK) »
Excellent sleuthing, Peter.

Jim, go to https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/NN6310 and click on the map to enlarge it twice until Thomasgreen appears.