Author Topic: St Michael's Garston  (Read 1008 times)

Offline mway1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Michael's Garston
« on: Monday 01 January 24 02:03 GMT (UK) »
Dear RootsChat members,

I was hoping a kind member here could assist a member based in Northern Ireland by locating and photographing a family grave in St Michael's Garston, Lancashire. The grave is of one Mary Elizabeth Wilkens, who was buried in 1901 in St Michael's. I am particularly interested to see if the grave makes mention of her husband, Hein Wilkens, who I know was understood to be dead by 1908, though the last record I can find of him is in 1893.

Kind regards,

Michael Way

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Michael's Garston
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Hiya mway and a warm welcome to Rootschat - you are in luck - my family in Garston since 1870 and OUR church is St Michaels all my wifes family and mine baptised here ...I will have a look as soon as I check what time the gates open - I think it is 0930 - I am 72 so have all the time needed..
Mary Elizabeth was buried 3rd April 1901 - but I have a question for you - although buried at St Michaels - Mary Elizabeths death was registered in Salford ,Manchester June qtr 1901 aged 59 -

could this be a marriage of Hein and Mary Elizabeths son / Grandson ??

Name   Robert Hein Wilkens
Sex   Male
Marital Status   Single
Father's Name   Hein Wilkens
Spouse's Name   Florrie Boulton
Spouse's Sex   Female
Spouse's Marital Status   Single
Spouse's Father's Name   David Boulton
Event Type   Marriage
Event Date   6 Aug 1919
Event Place   Manchester, Stretford, Lancashire, England
Event Place (Original)   Manchester, Stretford, Lancashire, England
................................................................................................
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 07:08 GMT (UK) »
OK - Garston comes under West Derby for registrations
Hein Wilkens and Mary Elizabeth Crowther married in 1876 West Derby ,Liverpool
STILL Crowthers in Garston - SO I will look for CROWTHER graves as well as she might well be in with her parents or siblings .
It would be nice if she is related to the Crowthers still here in Garston - I know them well
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 07:38 GMT (UK) »
very likely Hein and Mary Elizabeth had a daughter Eva Jane Wilkens in 1884 registered Wavertree - same as my birth registration - Wavertree covers Garston ...
yes  certain now
registered Garston - married in Salford 1907
Eva Jane Wilkens to Frederick Way at Stowell Memorial church Salford - if you could gety this marriage cert - it will say if Hein WAS alive at the time of the marriage ??

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 07:41 GMT (UK) »
doesn't say deceased on this record

Name   Frederick William Way
Sex   Male
Marital Status   Single
Father's Name   Walter Charles Way
Spouse's Name   Eva Jane Wilkens
Spouse's Sex   Female
Spouse's Marital Status   Single
Spouse's Father's Name   Hein Wilkens
Event Type   Marriage
Event Date   15 Jul 1907
Event Place   Stowell Memorial, Salford, Lancashire, England
Event Place (Original)   Stowell Memorial, Salford, Lancashire, England

Offline mway1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning garstonite,

And thank you for your detailed and speedy replies. Yes, that is accurate, Eva Jane Wilkens is my great grandmother, Robert Hein Wilkens would be my great granduncle. I have attached the marriage bann showing Hein listed as deceased by the time of Eva's marriage.

Crowther was her first marriage, not her maiden name. She had 4 children at least under that name. Robert Hein was the executor of her will.

Her maiden name was Taylor.

Thank you for all your help.

Kind regards,

Michael

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 14:08 GMT (UK) »
been in touch with the church - Mary Elizabeth(Taylor ) is in with her first Husband Elijah Crowther

It would appear that Mary Elizabeth Wilkens may have been buried with her first husband, Elijah Crowther of St. Marys Road, Garston, who was buried on November 22nd 1872, age 38 at St. Michael's Garston by vicar John F Hewson. No sign of a death record for Hein/Henry Wilkens, but as a marine superintendent he may have died at sea. He is recorded as deceased on his daughter's wedding certificate in 1907 when Eva Jane married Frederick William Way in Salford, Manchester. Mary Elizabeth (nee Taylor) was born in Burnley, Lancs and is recorded on the census records as a shoe/boot dealer. 1881 living in James Street Garston with her second husband and family.

heavy rain today - I will look for Elijah / Mary grave tomorrow if the weather is ok ....xx  Elijah was a Shoemaker and Mary sold his goods his shop is still standing today in James Street

Offline mway1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much. From my research it appears that Mary and her son James kept up the shoe shop after Elijah passed.

I do fear Hein may have died at sea, and potentially not on a British Flagged vessel. He seemed to sail for a number of lines throughout his career, and I am trying my best to patch together his career history. He certainly sailed on at least one Turkish vessel, and one North German Lloyd vessel. He was born in the Kingdom of Hannover afterall so likely spoke Low German, and NDL sailed to Turkey.

I think Marine Superintendent may be an inflation of his position, as my Great Grandfather, Frederick William Way was on the up in the Manchester Ship Canal, and would eventually make it to Docks Manager before his retirement in 1938. He is simply listed as "Sailor" on his son's marriage bann, and any crew agreement I can find has him as an AB.

I have been to Frederick William and Eva Jane's grave in Salford, though I don't recall the graveyard.

My Grandfather sailed with Lamport and Holt during the war. My father sailed with BP in the 70s.

We are a fairly nautical family with strong links to Liverpool and Manchester, hence my interest in Hein.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 06:24 GMT (UK) »
My G G Grandfather was Carl Friedrich Sacht b 1846 on the Island of Helogoland - British owned then - but became German owned in 1890's - MANY Garston girls married foreign sailors in the 1800's - Garstons main trade then was Salt and Copper  :)