Author Topic: St Michael's Garston  (Read 1009 times)

Online Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Michael's Garston
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 March 24 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am showing interest in this as like Garstonite I am also from Garston, although I now live near Manchester.

Interestingly the death of Harry Wilkins is on Free BMD and the National GRO system, showing the right age, is registered at Barton upon Irwell (Salford Area of Manchester) with reference December Quarter, Vol 08C Page 458. The burial details on Ancestry show Entry No 684 (1896-1900) at St Michaels, and his address as 131 Yew Tree (Walk?), Salford, buried 23 October 1899 age 54. You may wish to get this death certificate?

Mary Elizabeth Wilkens details show Entry No 145 (1900-1904) at St Michaels, address 135 New Park Road, Salford buried 3 April 1901 age 65 - Free BMD and GRO references show her as age 59 June Quarter, Vol 08D Page 89, District Salford - a discrepancy but it looks like the right person.

Alan

Offline mway1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Garstonite - I am so sorry to hear of your health difficulties. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Al - Thank you for your interest. I will order a copy of the death certificate to see. DOB isn't exact but it well within the margin of error.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 08:59 BST (UK) »
just wondering - 1881 census Leney Crowther aged 9 - Hein Wilkens / ( Henry Wilkins on the census ) Step Daughter ..
any idea what happened to Leney ?   going for a look today at the church - suns out  i will give it 20 mins and see if I have any luck - fingers crossed  :)

added

Leney Ellen Crowther b 1870 dec qtr Garston - no marriage for her - and no death on freebmd - so did she emigrate or marry outside the UK ??   I am going to pop in to the ladies Hairdressers in James Street and see the owner - her maiden name is Crowther to see if Mary Elizabeth was her G G Grandmother ...wouldn't that be interesting if she is ?? AND - I wonder if it is the same shop that was the Crowther Shoe Making shop ???? :) :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 02 April 24 16:40 BST (UK) »
well ...sun was out but grass was very wet - covered half the graves - no luck ...will do the other half next week - but I have to say about 15-20% of headstones are either unreadable or fallen , so we may not get any success ...fingers crossed for next week ...J*** Crowther is around 74 and has closed her shop in James Street - but is still hairdressing from home - I have passed a letter on to her to see if Mary Elizabeth (Taylor / Crowther ) was her G G Grandmother - awaiting a phone call .... :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 07:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just for interest, it looks like Leney Ellen Crowther married in 1893 at West Derby (BMD shows her name as Lena) to James Archibald Kelynack.

She died Fylde area of Lancashire age 68 in June 1939,

Alan

Offline mway1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 09:48 BST (UK) »
Morning All,

I just wanted to thank you for all your assistance so far. I thought I would share with you both on where I am at re: Hein Wilkens.

The following table lists the details of his life I have collated. Any line in italics is one I am not yet confident enough to say with certainty is him.

YearEventEvidence
1843Born in HannoverTaufen, Heiraten, Tote u Konfirmanden 1715-1852, Nierdersachsisches Landesarchiv
1853Arrived in London on Countess of Lonsdale"A List of Aliens" from the Countess of Lonsdale
1861Working in Liverpool as Sugar Refiner/LabourerCensus
1871Sailor aboard unknown North German VesselListed as previous vessel in Mangerton Crew Agreement
1871Sailor aboard the MangertonCrew Agreement held in National Archives Dublin
1876Marries Mary CrowtherLancashire - West Derby - 1876 - 8B - Q1 - pg 808
1881Sailor aboard Turkish vessel Sea HopperListed as previous vessel in Gogo Crew Agreement
1881Sailor aboard GogoCrew Agreement held in Maritime Heritage Archives, Halifax
1881Sailor aboard SutherlandCrew Agreement held in Maritime Heritage Archives, Halifax
1881Sailor aboard GogoCrew Agreement held in Maritime Heritage Archives, Halifax
-1890Sailor aboard MauritaniaCrew Agreement held in Maritime Heritage Archives, Halifax
1890-1891Sailor aboard RosarioCrew Agreement held in Maritime Heritage Archives, Halifax
1891-1892Sailor aboard BrideListed as previous vessel in Rosario Crew Agreement
1892Sailor aboard RosarioCrew Agreement held in Maritime Heritage Archives, Halifax
1893Sailor aboard Saint AnnsCrew Ageement held in Devon Archives and Local Studies

I am still very much buying scans of Crew Agreements for the Mauritania and working my way back. Hoping to find someway to work my way forward from the 1893 date. Unlikely to get much information on the Ottoman vessel or the North German Vessel (which I suspect was North German Lloyd Line) as these countries did not appear to keep crew agreements in the same way.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 03 April 24 17:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just for interest, it looks like Leney Ellen Crowther married in 1893 at West Derby (BMD shows her name as Lena) to James Archibald Kelynack.

She died Fylde area of Lancashire age 68 in June 1939,

Alan
Thanks for that Alan - - from another Garston Allan ....lol :)