Author Topic: DIARY: New Year's Day to Jan 7th  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DIARY: New Year's Day to Jan 7th
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 January 24 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Received 2 late Christmas cards today, one from the USA and one with no postmarking but just a stroke of a pen across the stamp.  Just as I was thinking that it was time to take down my decorations.

Last night went to the birthday party of a German friend who was also celebrating a New Year's visit from her parents.  The mother had made Glühwein, the real stuff, not the bottles you can buy readymade in Tesco.  It was delicious!  The recipe included orange and lemon peel, red grape juice, various herbs and spices and of course red wine.  Not for you, LM, though! :( :(

Today is another dark, damp day and we are threatened with a yellow rain warning later in the day.  Will it ever stop?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 January 24 11:53 GMT (UK) »
How lovely Gillg… authentic gluhwein is delicious… I don’t drink red wine either but I do like a glass or two of the spiced winter heaven especially on the ski slopes.

Caroline

Lovely sunny day here at the moment!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 January 24 14:35 GMT (UK) »
" Ice wine" - really sweet, from frost-bitten grapes, is my choice to bring in a new year nowadays. First met it from Austria, now delight in it from Canada. It's become a tradition for us - normally I'm a red wine person, or an Aperol spritz, but the Pelletier vineyard seems to do a lovely job.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 January 24 15:24 GMT (UK) »
In Tesco this morning ,it was so funny,two little boys quite a long way away from their Daddy.
The older one about four was plaguing the smaller who was about 18 months and who had a dummy in his mouth.
Every so often the little one would take out his dummy and shout” BOGOFF”
to his brother, I was smiling and Daddy came to gather them up and I remarked they were like a double act ,he said that they were inseparable but did not really get on and yet were always together.
I made no comment about what the little one was saying.

Saw a lovely Art Deco mirror in a charity shop window ,asked the price and - can’t believe it £10— absolutely new.
I reserved it and when I got home told my son who had a day or so ago seen it but the shop was closed .
He really likes it so I phoned to confirm and can pay tomorrow after Church .
He will have to collect it though when he can.
It matches some wall lights he has installed .

Just sorted out my daily medications for a fortnight.
Have little strip containers one compartment for each drug unless I take two together ,but I can see if I have forgotten one.

My little friend has just come in a panic re a postal package so I need to deal with this.
Cheerio
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 January 24 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I am not a Tesco shopper normally but was in the area this week   bought a very nice zip up top , bit like thin fleece to short so I had to take it back today  actually went straight up to a manned till, the  cashier said it was a very quiet day  the self service tills were busy.

Because my bus wasn't due for another  50 mins I went to have a coffee, spied a Worcester 4 piece  set  of cups and saucers as I passed the charity shop, unused for £5,  I will  be out to impress  whoever I need to Impress, pity there wasn't any small plates but will look around  for them.

It is very cold today, I am in now  for the afternoon.
Liked  the story of the little boys , you did well, with your bargain Viktoria.

I sort out  my medication for a fortnight, then I know I haven't missed any.

Keep warm

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 06 January 24 16:15 GMT (UK) »
A rather belated Happy New Year wish to everyone. Just back from a post Christmas week somewhere a little warmer than here.  :) So I had a rather different New Year's Eve and the new year arrived a few hours earlier! Enjoyed having a few hours extra daylight, must keep reminding myself that the longer days are on the way.

Very best wishes to everyone for good health and happiness.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 06 January 24 16:41 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb - that is VERY cruel - leaving us to try and decide where you found warmth and sunshine!  Are you going to let us into the secret?  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 06 January 24 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year to you too Roobarb. Keep watching when you feel you need to draw the curtains at night. I think it’s getting later already .
North East of England

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 06 January 24 18:34 GMT (UK) »
About 5 minutes every day l think.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.