Author Topic: Arrival from Hamburg 1864-65  (Read 183 times)

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Arrival from Hamburg 1864-65
« on: Monday 01 January 24 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Looking for some assistance in finding the arrival in Wellington of a passenger from Hamburg in 1864-65.

The lady in question was born Fredericke ZIETEMANN in Hamburg in 1843. Her mother died in 1851 and her father in 1853, after which she was fostered/adopted by a Johann HELM.

She was still in Hamburg in May 1864, but was in Wellington by August 1865 when she married Henry LEPPIN there.

She used HELM as her maiden name for the marriage and some of the birth registrations of their children, but later returned to using ZIETEMANN as her maiden name.

Family story is she came out as a governess to the German Ambassador's children, but Germany as a country did not exist then and so whoever she came with may have been some sort of trade ambassador from Hamburg.

Frederick Augustus KRULL was in Wellington about this time, although he arrived in 1859, and did later become the German Consul. He married in 1862 and their first child was born 1864.

Included both names as she used both at different times.

Don't need anything prior to her arrival, found her baptism online on the Archion website and have been able to trace the ZIETEMANNs back to late 1600s on there. Don't need anything after her marriage to Henry LEPPIN either.

Thanks
Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arrival from Hamburg 1864-65
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 24 09:24 GMT (UK) »
The wife of Mrs F.A. Krull had child in New Brandenberg, Germany 15 April 1864
And then Mr $ Mrs Krull are on the “Wild Duck” with a child. January 1865
There is a list of passengers ending with “and five others”   I wonder if your lady is one of them.
It would make sense to hire someone when you were coming back

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01sw9/

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 24 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks mckha489, I think she is on that ship.

One of the passengers is listed as Helen Frederica, which doesn't really make sense as a name, but would with the names reversed. Is on the Ourstuff shipping lists as well, as that, which probably came from the newspaper article.

She did spell her name pretty much differently on every certificate, or the registrar did.

Those years passenger lists don't appear to be on Familysearch, at least as far as I can see.

Left London on 6 Oct 1864 and arrived Wellington 19 Jan 1865, which definitely fits within the period mentioned in my original post.

Frederick Krull was a merchant in Wellington, plenty of advertising by him in the Wellington newspapers, plus his marriage and birth notices.

Ian C

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 January 24 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Ah, I missed that. Yes i would say “Helm, Frederica”  could easily be mistaken as “Helen Frederica” in a handwritten list,

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks mckha489. This can now be closed.

Frederica was issued with a passport/ID from Hamburg in May 1864 as she was travelling to Mecklenburg, presumably to work for the KRULL family.

The KRULLs had an elder daughter born in 1863 on board ship off the Isle of Wight, who was baptised in Neubrandenburg. The one born on 15 Apr 1864 in Neubrandenburg died on 25 April, which accounts for there being only the one child on the passenger list.

Thanks
Ian C