Author Topic: Redding mine disaster 1923  (Read 123 times)

Offline Summer18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Redding mine disaster 1923
« on: Monday 01 January 24 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Could one of the kind Roots administrators please inform me is it possible to gain additional information in relation to the identity of Michael Mclaughlin named as one of the 40 mining workers who lost their lives in the Redding mining disaster in Falkirk September 1923.

My relation namely Michael Mclaughlin from Stranaclea Illies Buncrana Donegal Ireland Born 1861/63 40 in 1901 Irish census and 45 1911 Census and single Died around 1922/24 and I can't find any death records from Inishowen registration district for the stated time period and considering he was single and age around 60/63 the named Michael who lost his life in the Redding disaster for some reason has great interest to me.

If someone would have more success than I in finding his death Ireland around 1922/24 then it might rule out the Michael Mclaughlin from the Redding disaster.

Would appreciate any help or guidance. Regards

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Redding mine disaster 1923
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 24 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Suggest you look at Scotland's People as the Michael who died in 1923 should have a death registration there. The most likely one I can see is in Polmont RD ( Polmont is in the Falkirk area) aged 19 with mother's maiden name of Log. It might be worth searching for surname variations . The local newspapers might also help.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 24 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

As Scottish death indexes from 1855 are available on ScotlandsPeople, I looked for any Michael McLaughlins who died in Scotland in 1923.

There were only two. One was aged 3 and died in Anderston in Glasgow, the other death was recorded in the registration district of Polmont. As this district covers Redding, I looked at this entry, which confirms that this is the man killed in the pit disaster.

However, this Michael McLaughlin was only 19 years old. He was the son of Charles and Bridget, and his death was registered by his brother Dan.

I'm sorry that this isn't perhaps the news you wanted, but at least it removes another possibility from your searching.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 January 24 11:30 GMT (UK) »

Posted to confirm previous post.

I note the name the name of Michael MCLAUGHLIN ON THE LIST OF VICTIMS IN 1923.

THERE WERE TWO IN STIRLINGSHIRE ON THE 1921 CENSUS BELOW.

MCLAUGHLAN   MICHAEL   1921   M   52   481/B3 3/ 23   POLMONT   STIRLING   View (6 credits)

Also at that reference number/ JOHN MCLAUGHLAN 42 AND JOHN E MCLAUGHLAN 8

The second below is the most likely victim.

MCLAUGHLIN   MICHAEL   1921   17   479/ 4/ 30   FALKIRK   STIRLING   

Death Record.
   MICHAEL MCLAUGHLIN   19   LOG   M   1923   481 / B3 / 80   POLMONT

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 January 24 11:57 GMT (UK) »
There were two birth registrations for Michael in Inishowen both 1864.

1911 census taken on 2 April.

There are a large number of death registrations for Michael in Inishowen following the census on  https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie   

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.