Author Topic: Portadown - Child and Wife of PATRICK MARTIN  (Read 315 times)

Offline nexus41

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Portadown - Child and Wife of PATRICK MARTIN
« on: Monday 01 January 24 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am researching PATRICK MARTIN of Portadown, born December 2, 1909, in Portadown. I have information about his siblings and parents (there is a previous posting, which greatly helped: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=877899.msg7499200#msg7499200), but I cannot find any records of his marriage to Mary (née unknown) or the name of his child. The only clue I have is an article from the Portadown News of March 3, 1951 (also in the Portadown Times), which reports the separation order given by the Portadown court. He was subsequently sentenced to three months in prison in 1952 for non-payment of the maintenance.

I want to trace what became of Mary Martin and the child. I have searched GRONI, but could find no record of the marriage. Patrick Martin moved to England in the late 1950s and died in Coventry on September 18, 1974.

I would be grateful for any help in turning up information on Mary and the child.

Thanks
Martins of Portadown | Morgans of Bolton | Callaghans of Bolton | Mitchells of Liverpool | Clarks of Glencaple | Loudens of Glencaple

Online Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Portadown - Child and Wife of PATRICK MARTIN
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 24 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Portadown Times 29th December 1989 has a picture with the caption: ‘Mrs Mary Martin of the Portadown College Former pupils association presents the Mary Martin Perpetual Cup to Portadown college captain…..”  The lady in the picture looks to be in her 60s, I would say. No idea if it’s the same Mary Martin though.

She’s also in the same paper on 29th March 1985 again presenting a prize. Caption mentions she was President of Portadown ladies hockey club.
Elwyn

Offline nexus41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 24 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the feedback. Unfortunately, the data doesn't match up. I checked the Portadown Ladies Hockey Club FB page. Her husband is Matthew, and she celebrated her 85th in 2022, meaning she was born in 1937, making her 15 in 1952.
Martins of Portadown | Morgans of Bolton | Callaghans of Bolton | Mitchells of Liverpool | Clarks of Glencaple | Loudens of Glencaple

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 January 24 15:04 GMT (UK) »
nexus41, can you share the exact gro death reference you have for Patrick's death in 1974 in Coventry please.

SS

Offline nexus41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 January 24 15:17 GMT (UK) »
That is a problem. I have searched high and low for it, but I have not found it. (There are some Patrick Martins with GRO entries around the date of death, but not match up, and Patrick did not have a middle name, discounting entries such as "Peter Patrick Martin", "Patrick Joseph / John Martin"). I will be contacting the Warwickshire register office this week to request a search based on the info that I have and that is the death notice placed by the family. This was placed in the Portadown News on October 4, 1974. I attach it below.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 January 24 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Nexus
In case you are unaware Rootchat suggests images from BNA or FindMyPast newspapers should not be posted
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php
https://help-and-advice.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/knowledgebase/topics/145174-reproducing-newspapers-from-the-british-newspaper

Appreciate DOB does not match but Peter Patrick Martin Q3 1974 Coventry v.33 p.287 DOB 13NO1909 fits the death.

Offline nexus41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 January 24 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Jon_ni
Thank you for the reminder - I've removed the images. Regarding the entry Q3 1974 Coventry v.33 p.287 DOB 13NO1909: I had discounted it because Patrick did not have any other first name than Patrick: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1910/01586/1638285.pdf .
There is also no record of any relative with the name "Peter". But, I will add this record as a possible candidate when I contact the Warwickshire registry office. Hopefully it's just an admin error.
Thanks

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 January 24 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Jon_ni
 I had discounted it because Patrick did not have any other first name than Patrick: https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1910/01586/1638285.pdf .
Thanks

Often people had a second name, sometimes a Saint's name, added when they were baptised or had their first communion (if they were RC).  I would not take it as gospel, as it were,  that the person did not have a second name based on the registration of the birth. 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 January 24 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Did Patrick subsequently marry again?
What was his occupation?
Did he enlist for WW2?