Author Topic: Portadown - Child and Wife of PATRICK MARTIN  (Read 314 times)

Offline nexus41

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Portadown - Child and Wife of PATRICK MARTIN
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 10:12 GMT (UK) »
- Patrick served in the Royal Army Service Corps (RASC) as a driver in WWII, but I don't have his service number. His brother John was also in the RASC and apparently was Montgomery's driver for 18 months (there is an article about John in the Portadown News of March 3, 1978).
- I don't know if Patrick re-married when he was in the UK. I think he left Portadown for England in the late 1950s.
- I don't know his occupation for sure, but he worked as a driver and taxi driver in Portadown. Given that and his RASC experience, I expect he worked as a driver of some sort in the UK, or in the motor industry.
Martins of Portadown | Morgans of Bolton | Callaghans of Bolton | Mitchells of Liverpool | Clarks of Glencaple | Loudens of Glencaple

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 20:04 GMT (UK) »
hadn't twigged till you wrote the above was you and the same Martins, I posted that Portadown News link on Lurgan facebook group about John's WW2 driver service photographed with his two sisters + articles about the husband's death, obviously you are still working through the siblings.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lurganancestry/posts/1295802627786945/
Your previous post here was https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=877899.0

Offline nexus41

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 January 24 21:13 GMT (UK) »
Aah. So many users, but all roads lead to Portadown in the end... My original posting here about the Martins of Portadown was a great help in fleshing out the family tree. The Lurgan Ancestry posting also gave a lot of information - thank you. I was then able to get a lot of additional detail about the family in Portadown through the Find My Past newspaper archive. We've also been able to trace in detail the descendants of one of the family members who emigrated to the US. It's just Patrick M. who stubbornly refuses to yield up clues as to his life in the UK, and the fate of his wife and child in Portadown. He's the one I'm focussing on now.

FYI: The Martin family tree is set to public on ancestry.
Martins of Portadown | Morgans of Bolton | Callaghans of Bolton | Mitchells of Liverpool | Clarks of Glencaple | Loudens of Glencaple