Author Topic: Is this a long shot?  (Read 200 times)

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great great grandma Seaward
    • View Profile
Is this a long shot?
« on: Monday 01 January 24 19:08 GMT (UK) »
In my previous post I mentioned a Priscilla Hughes, born in 1820/21 in Birmingham. I can't find her parents as there is no baptism for her that I can find. All I have to go off is what she submitted as information for her marriage certificate.

She married as Priscilla Onions (taking the name of her former common-law partner Samuel Onions). Her father is listed as Samuel Onions, and the occupation is 'ivory turner'.

She would have listed her father as 'Onions' to make it appear that she was a spinster with the same surname as her two children. However, could the name Samuel for her father be correct?

I ask this because before I've come across a woman who had used the real first name of her father but changed the surname to match her own. With this in mind, I wondered if her father was actually Samuel Hughes.

Now this is a long shot, admittedly. But, I found a Samuel Hughes in a newspaper article from the Birmingham Journal (Saturday 08 March 1828) which reads as follows:

Birmingham Police Office. Samuel Hughes was committed for stealing several pieces of ivory and ivory turnings, the property of Mr Moushall, of Alcester Street, in whose employ the prisoner had been some several months since. The property was found in the prisoner's house, where he said it had been bought by a boy who lodged with him, and who worked for the prosecutor: but it appeared that this boy was the person who informed Mr Moushall that these things were in the prisoner's possession.

Is this worth looking into as a possible connection to Priscilla Hughes? Or am I leading myself down a rabbit hole?

I should also add that I found a record of this crime in the criminal register. His crime is listed as 'Larceny (by servant)' and he received 4 months imprisonment.
Warwickshire, Birmingham, Worcestershire, Shropshire, Bridgnorth.

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a long shot?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 January 24 19:47 GMT (UK) »
In my previous post I mentioned a Priscilla Hughes, born in 1820/21 in Birmingham. I can't find her parents as there is no baptism for her that I can find. All I have to go off is what she submitted as information for her marriage certificate.

She married as Priscilla Onions (taking the name of her former common-law partner Samuel Onions). Her father is listed as Samuel Onions, and the occupation is 'ivory turner'.

Do you have any other evidence to say her maiden name was 'Hughes'?
(It's always a good idea to post a link to previously made posts to save others trying to find what has already been written).
Presumably there is no marriage for a Priscilla Hughes marriage to a Mr Onions? - you say they were 'common-law' partners.
Or are you just thinking her name was Hughes because you found this piece in the newspapers?
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 January 24 20:00 GMT (UK) »
From a previous posts “Whose Onion is my Onion”
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=823070.msg6867201#msg6867201

“The birth certificate has arrived.

Elizabeth Onions was born 13th June 1847.
Address given is 5 or 8 Court 16 House, Moor Street, Birmingham.
Father - Samuel Onions - a carter
Mother - Priscilla Onions formerly Hughes.”

And added for anyone else looking

“Who was the mother “

I'm looking into the mother of ELIZABETH ONIONS (1847-1906),who was born in Birmingham.

Elizabeth appears in the 1871 census with her husband Charles Edward Roath in 1871. In 1881 and 1891 she lives with some of her children (as her husband was living with another woman). I've not found her in 1901, and she died in 1906.

I know from Elizabeth's marriage record (from 1868) that her father's name was SAMUEL ONIONS and his occupation was listed as 'servant'. According to GRO, Elizabeth's mother's maiden name was HUGHES.

When looking for Elizabeth prior to 1871, I found an Elizabeth Onions in the 1851 and 1861 census living with a PRISCILLA RICHARDS (listed as mother). If this is my Elizabeth, this would be plausible, as her father Samuel Onions had died in 1850.

I thought if this was my Elizabeth it could be possible that Priscilla re-married to JOHN RICHARDS. However, on the marriage Banns, Priscilla lists herself as Priscilla Onions - Spinster - and her father's name is listed and Samuel Onions (ivory turner). Therefore my theory seems to not hold water.

However, when looking at the children Priscilla had with John Richards, all on GRO are listed as having mother's maiden name HUGHES. Why then did Priscilla say her father was Samuel Onions on her marriage certificate?

I have a feeling this one will require a birth certificate for Elizabeth to confirm her mother's name, but is Priscilla plausible?

I can find no marriage between Samuel Onions and Priscilla Hughes. “

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=872904.18

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 January 24 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for posting those Ladyhawk.

So if littleem is now asking whether this report of Samuel Hughes is possibly the father of Priscilla Hughes or not, I would say it's somewhat more than a coincidence. It's not proof, but I would think worth looking into.

There are several points that tally.
1. All these events take place in Birmingham.
2. Priscilla gives her father's first name on her marriage certificate as Samuel. Tick
3. She says he was an 'ivory turner'. Tick
4. Priscilla's maiden name has proved to be Hughes. Tick
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline littleem1906

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great great grandma Seaward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 January 24 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all! I think I'll look into this out of interest and see if anything tallies further. I know it sounds like an absolute long shot but it might just be worth looking into to rule it out.

The only evidence I have that Priscilla's maiden name was Hughes is the fact that she registered all her children with mmn Hughes. It's not clear though whether Hughes was her father's name or her mother's, as no birth record for her can be found.
Warwickshire, Birmingham, Worcestershire, Shropshire, Bridgnorth.