Author Topic: HADFIELD in Chapel en le Frith/Chapel Milton in 17th/18th Centuries  (Read 125 times)

Offline Smilliec

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HADFIELD in Chapel en le Frith/Chapel Milton in 17th/18th Centuries
« on: Monday 01 January 24 21:26 GMT (UK) »
I’ve tracked one branch of my family back to a John HADFIELD who lived in Chapel Milton at the end of the 17th Century.  This is a village that I understand was in Glossop Parish as well as being close to Chapel en le Frith. 

I have the parish records for four children that I think are children of John and his wife Ann, all baptised in Chapel en le Frith - Charles (1702), Mary (1706), Abraham (1707), and George (1708).  I think there may be other children (earlier) - tbd.  But I can’t find any records of a marriage between a John Hadfield and an Ann of a date that would make sense.  I’ve seen another tree that suggests the Ann might be a LINGARD but no luck starting from that direction either.

There were a number of HADFIELD families around, not all Chapel but also Peak Forest, Glossop etc.

Does anyone have an interest in this part of the Hadfield family who could shed any light?

Thanks

Offline GrahamH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.gjh.me.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HADFIELD in Chapel en le Frith/Chapel Milton in 17th/18th Centuries
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 08:29 GMT (UK) »
There is a will & inventory of a John Hadfield of Chapel Milton in the Lichfield records (accessible via FindMyPast). It is dated 7 October 1723 with probate April 1724. His wife was Ann and some of the children named are the same. Some of the witnesses are named Lingard.

He seems to have been fairly well off so may have been the John Hadfield from whom the land for the building of Chinley Independent Chapel was purchased (though Clegg appears not to mention him otherwise).

Marriages at the time were supposed to take place at the parish church at Glossop but it was a long journey all the way up there so people sometimes used the church at Hayfield.

Hadfield wasn't all that uncommon a surname, arising from the villages of Hadfield and Hayfield (there were more Hadfields in the 1851 census in Glossop itself than all the other local surname combined).

Online Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HADFIELD in Chapel en le Frith/Chapel Milton in 17th/18th Centuries
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I have an Ann Lingard, daughter of Nicholas Lingard (b 1673) & Ann Ashton who married a Hadfield at around that time.
I don't have any more information at present -- my notes under Nicholas say " His children's names from Wills of sister Ann Kirk and brother-in-law Francis Ashton"

I will have a look later today for my notes on the wills and see if there is any further information

Nicholas was from the  branch of the Lingard family that lived at Stodhart / Stoddart  in Chapel-en-le-Frith. Stodhart is / was a house /farm between Chapel Milton & Chapel-en-le-Frith.
Rev James Clegg of Chinley Chapel fame lived & farmed at Stodhart in the 1700s

Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all