Author Topic: Sarah Ferrar b 1789 - married John Merrick - Norton Canon  (Read 331 times)

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sarah Ferrar b 1789 - married John Merrick - Norton Canon
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Hereford records office catalog tells me there are records for Norton cannon that have not been microfilmed.
Baptisms 1813-1936
Burials 1813-1978
Gaps in bishops transcripts
1805-1807
1809-1811
And also…………..1815, 1816.

Not much help I know

Mike

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mike - I wasn't aware of this ....cheers
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 January 24 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I've checked that baptism for Sarah Stephens and I think you are right .It looks like her brother Richard is buried at Sarnefield born c 1735 which would fit with a baptism to Richard and Jane in 11 Sep 1736 at Mansell Lacey.Gravestone 29 Jan 1795 age 59 years.
www.findagrave.com/memorial/126489918/richard-stephens.

Samuel Ferrar left a Will 3.5.1809 at Hereford Archives ,£800 of Sarnefield Executor Sarah.Burial 8th March. Plaque at Winforton says died 6th ,born 1725 and another wife Eleanor Price Ferrar 1723-1777.There is a possible first marriage to an Eleanor Price at St Martins in the Fields 23 Dec 1753.
www.findagrave.com/memorial/199392738/samuel-ferrar

Samuel and Sarah's son Benjamin's may be Winforton 1799 ,£100 to Exec Samuel Ferrar but no sign of a burial.

Also an Admin for John Ferrar of Winforton 3.3.1803 to brother Samuel and granddaughter Elizabeth Burnham ,£300. Burial 26 Dec 1802 ?
John bapt 30 July 1715 s of Thomas and Anne Winforton and Samuel 28 Feb 1725

Hope that helps
 Sorry forgot to add Sarah Ferror age 88 buried Norton Canon 13.11.1829 which adds a bit to her age but I am sure is her.

Ciderdrinker

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 January 24 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Ciderdrinker - great info - I don't suppose it mentioned whether Sarah is buried in St Nicholas Church grounds in Norton Canon ??...I have visited Norton Canon ( I live in Liverpool ) before and I have the website for St Nicholas Church - I can contact them ??  but there would be Sarah Ferrar and Sarah Merrick buried there - mother and daughter - I wonder if they are in the same grave ?  the mother dying 4 years after her daughter ....very interesting ...thanks again so much ...hard for me being in Liverpool - I don't know the right websites to research  xxxxx
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 20 January 24 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Herefordshire is quite hard to find.
The burial was in Norton Cannon parish records so I'm guessing Sarah was buried there.
I've done a bit more digging.
There's a Benjamin Ferrar from Snaresfield apprenticed to a carpenter William Ricketts 1794 .So age 14.
Herefordshire Wills are here
https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/herefordshire-archive-records-centre/wills-search?forename=&surname=merrick&parish=&executornames=&from=&to=&submit=Submit#results-search

There is a surprising amount of Info without buying a copy of the Will but you can do that there too.
I've not looked at the Merricks but it looks like on page 3 there is an Admin for john Merrick of LLandinabo who could be a relative.
( A Brother Thomas bapt 17.1.1682 to John and Joan would fit nicely as the Executor ?)
Just a thought.

I have ancestors in Herefordshire but it's a 4 hour trip for me on the train so I've only been a couple of times to the Record Office.

Ciderdrinker

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 January 24 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes Ciderdrinker - John Merrick b 1689 Llandinabo - baptised 14/9/1689 is in my tree - he married Ann Jeffs b 1695 Staunton on Wye  and they had 2 sons - John Merrick 1725 and Simon Merrick 1728 in Norton Canon....John and Ann married in Llandinabo 26/1/1716 ... their anniversary will be on Friday = 308 years ....lol  ;)   seriously - it would be nice to see if John and Ann had any more children ???   presumably in Norton Canon ...

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 22 January 24 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning
Yes I had a quick look .
It's not Norton Canon but nearby in Staunton on Wye.
John bapt 18.3.1716 buried 18.9 1722 Staunton on wye
Elizabeth bapt 27.7.1718 .

So they do fit and it is not that far away.

Ciderdrinker

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much Ciderdrinker - appreciated ...