Author Topic: Small number of cm..  (Read 632 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Small number of cm..
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry.  :)
OK. I think most 15cM matches will be 'real'. But when you get down to 7cM or 8, a fairly high percentage are false matches. When I say false, it can be two things really, one it is basically an algorithm 'hiccup', or two, it is a segment that is inherited from an ancestor beyond the common genealogical timescale - i.e. for most English people that is the late 16th century (Scottish later due to scarcity of records and much later for Irish ancestry due to fact Catholic baptisms weren't really recorded until 1750s at the earliest and much later for some places). Family History Fanatics has several videos on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF5-PPMQvCg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFSNXlYFnVI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqK9b2Vt6gQ

If we are talking about sites that take uploads, things get a lot more complicated and lot less reliable as imputation is used to cover the fact different chips have very low overlap i.e. MyHeritage and GEDMATCH, for GSA chipset uploads i.e. 23andme 2017-, MyHeritage/FTDNA 2019, LivingDNA -2019 the majority of matches up to about 50cM are false for this reason.

Offline dsquared

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you melba_schmelba. That's very helpful.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 16:35 GMT (UK) »
I presently have 42 DNA matches that I have included in my Family Tree.

These 42 have cM values in the range from 6 to 10 cM.

All have supportive BMD, census records and any other corroborative information that I could find.

So yes you can get there with low cM matches and whilst 42 may seem a high number when it is compared to the thousands of DNA matches that Ancestry says that I have then the 42 is a pretty small number or looking at it another way a 1 in 500 chance of finding a link.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 17:31 GMT (UK) »
See also my post #6 above.

I have several 6cM or slightly higher matches in my tree, but most are marked as tentative. I would be wary of accepting a single 6cM match as proof of a specific relationship, even with paper or other records to corroborate it, unless you have investigated all subsequent intervening relationships in your wider tree. If you find several similar matches to a single MRCA or couple though, the chances are correspondingly higher that there must be some weight to the evidence.

But as an example, I was delighted last year to discover a new 6cM match, which on the face of it corroborated my research back to my Gx5 GF, as both I and my match were direct descendants of different children of that man, but my match by his first wife, and myself by his second wife.

Quite simple you might think. But one of the benefits of researching a tree widely and deeply is that I was able to see that there were at least three other local families whose members had at various times married into and become direct ancestors of either my match or myself. So in fact it is impossible for me to say with any certainty whether we share a match to my Gx5 grandfather, or one of the other families whose siblings appear in both our lines. One for example being my Gx3 grandmother, whose brother it transpires was also one of matches' intervening grandparents.

I have another 6cM match who descends from my Gx6 grandmother and her second husband on a different line. I am descended from the same woman and her first husband. But a direct descendant of the second husband's brother married my Gx2 GF and is therefore my Gx2 GM. So which line do we match on, either or both? It is impossible to say, or could the match just be IBC?
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire