Author Topic: road block with family research  (Read 597 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: road block with family research
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Oh could this be Thomas Horrigan
1888 Thomas Gegan mother Nora, Castlequarter no father named.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1888/02492/1924409.pdf
Thomas Harrigan was informant on Nora’s death in 1903 registration 1904
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1904/05633/4585025.pdf

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Excellent stuff Sinann.

Added: Here's the baptism for Nora's sister Mary, in the same RC parish (Kinvara) where the parents John and Mary were married in 1847, Mary was baptised on 21 September 1848, the parents' names were recorded as "John Geagan" & "M. Gorman" and the sponsors were Michael and John Gorman:
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634189#page/35/mode/1up (right hand page, just over half way down)

The address is a ditto from above but I can't make it out, it looks like "Kinturlas" but I can't see a match for it, so over to better eyes than mine.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 16:32 GMT (UK) »
There was a John Logue in the same (21st) regiment as John Gegan, he had the reg. no. 4148 and the military records say that he was a blacksmith by trade, born "in the Parish of Faughanvale near the Town of Muff in the County of Derry". He rose from Private to Sergeant and served 6 months in the Crimea, 3 and 10/12 years in Malta, 4 and 4/12 years in the West Indies and 2 and 2/12 years in the East Indies.

He attested for the 21st Regiment in Co. Derry on 18 May 1855 at the age of 18 and took his discharge at Ayr in Scotland on 10 May 1876, with an intended residence of Selkirk.  (This is consistent with the 1901 Ireland census, which showed a birth place of Scotland for John Logue and Mary Gegan's 24 year old daughter Sarah.)

Offline JamieLogue796

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Gaffy, that's the same man; his son John (my great-great grandfather) was born in Selkirkshire in 1874, and the family then relocated to the Limavady area in the late 1870s.

Offline JamieLogue796

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the marriage record for my 3rd great-grandparents, John and Mary Logue, who were married in St. James, Dublin, in 1867, John's parents were Philip and Matilda (I can't make out her last name). I know that Philip was a labourer and most likely lived in the Faughanvale area, where his son John was born in 1837. Interesting!