Author Topic: 1926 conviction - trial info?  (Read 526 times)

Offline tcw25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1926 conviction - trial info?
« on: Wednesday 03 January 24 04:30 GMT (UK) »
I tracked down the rap sheet of my great-great-grandfather, Arthur Flohr, who (in a reversal of the usual historical pattern) left England a free man around WW1 only to be convicted, around 1926, in Australia. I wonder if there is any way for me to find out more about what he stole and any submissions made at his trial.  The jpeg of the rap sheet with mugshot is too large a file for me to attach, but the conviction details are as follows:

Nth Sydney
13-10-26
Stealing (3 counts)
Sentenced, for each count, to "HL" of 6 months or so

I don't live in Australia so wouldn't be able to make enquiries in person. 

Offline ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1926 conviction - trial info?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 January 24 23:01 GMT (UK) »

Offline tcw25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 24 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  Yes -- the NSW Archive page includes only the one-page rap sheet JPEG I had attempted to attach to my original post above.  It does not include details about what was stolen, or any submissions made in Arthur's defence in 1926. 

The only Trove results for "Arthur Flohr" are stories about Arthur C. Flohr, a different (and unrelated) Arthur Flohr who was younger, with more children and a later conviction than my relative, Arthur A.E. Flohr.

I suppose what I'm really after are Criminal Court records from North Sydney in 1926, and I am not aware of any way to access those (assuming they have even been retained).  Any insight?

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 24 00:52 GMT (UK) »
His conviction for stealing resulted in Hard Labour which was used at that time. 6 months HL and/or compensation. Was this the amount he stole or was entitled to? Expect that he just went up before the magistrate and that was that. State Archives and NSW Library not helpful.
But.. he was a very interesting character according to some Ancestry trees, if they are accurate.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline tcw25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 January 24 00:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for explaining why there may not be trial records.  I wonder if my Ancestry tree is among those you saw -- Arthur Flohr aka Richard Flower was certainly fascinating, and I'm doing my best to piece together his life after he abandoned my great-gran and gran in England for a new life with his girlfriend, Mary Greenaway.   

That includes trying to trace the son he and Mary supposedly had in NZ or Aus in the 1920s, Peter John Flohr/Flower, and any surviving descendants, but that trail goes pretty cold beyond Peter's WW2 service record, sadly...

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 January 24 01:24 GMT (UK) »
If you search trove using words like "stealing" and "north sydney" and limit to October 1926, there are a couple of mentions that do not have the names of those arrested. However, they don't really seem like they relate to your man, hard to say. I also tried "three counts of stealing" but again, there is a case on 6 October, but doesn't quite seem right for your man. Perhaps you may be able to search using some other terms?

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 January 24 03:32 GMT (UK) »
This appears to be the son Peter John FLOWER (mother Mary Olive FLOWER aka Olive FLOWER)
https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=6074246
FLOWER PETER JOHN : Service Number - VX119468 : Date of birth - 20 Feb 1923 : Place of birth - SYDNEY NSW : Place of enlistment - BANDIANA VIC : Next of Kin - FLOWER O

Mothers death in Vic: age 86
8337/1969 Mary Olive FLOWER
Mother: Mary Ann YOUNGHUSBAND
Father: Isaac Mcnaughton GREENAWAY
Birth: Temuka New Zealand
Death: Ferntree Gully Upper

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/244435659/mary-olive-flower
Adding: https://billiongraves.com/grave/MARY-OLIVE-FLOWER-Greenaway/9599800

Offline tcw25

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 January 24 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Peter was Arthur's son; Arthur wrote to my gran (Arthur's daughter) years later, mentioning that he'd had a second child.  I can't track Peter beyond his service record. 

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 January 24 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Was son Peter John, surviving or deceased on Mary Olive’s death certificate? Was he mentioned in her death notice? any Will/estate administration, etc.
https://ryersonindex.org/search.php
FLOWER Mary Olive; Death 25APR1969, at Ferntree Gully Hospital; Notice: The Age (Melbourne)   30APR1969