Author Topic: 1926 conviction - trial info?  (Read 528 times)

Offline tcw25

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1926 conviction - trial info?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 06 January 24 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Good questions.  Mary Flower's death -- in 1969, nearly 20 years after Arthur aka Richard's death in December 1950 -- was reported by a nephew of hers, J.A. Kenderdine of Upwey, and no husband or children were identified on the death certificate. That may suggest a falling-out between Peter and either or both of his parents.  If the falling-out led Peter to change his name, it might also explain why his trail goes so cold after WW2.

Your suggestion to look at wills is very good and could apply to Mary as well as Arthur.  But how would I find wills for people who died in 1950 and 1969 in Victoria, Australia? 

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 January 24 01:25 GMT (UK) »
Victoria archives, although at that period the full record won't be online.
I didn't see anything obvious for her, perhaps her estate was below the threshold.
https://prov.vic.gov.au/

I would expect NSW archives to hold the court records if they survive, but they won't be online.
I think it says North Sydney PC (police court), and it doesn't seem like these can be found.

Side note: I presume you've seen A.A.E. Flohr's WWI records in NZ that go into some detail about his parentage etc as they relate to suspicions raised that he might be a German subject.  Includes a suggestion that he change his name to his birth name of Ellis.
https://ndhadeliver.natlib.govt.nz/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE19085359

I'd suggest checking for ELLIS as another possible alias for Peter.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 January 24 02:27 GMT (UK) »
It's raining in Melbourne today so I have taken the time to read every page of the archived record for Arthur Augustus Ellis FLOHR as provided above by jorose. 80 pages ;D

It is astonishing that in this matter regarding his background and heritage that actually rose to Prime Ministerial levels through the Attorney General, nobody seemed to pick up that he was already married in England. Or, that despite his assertion that he had married Mary Olive in England, no  certificate came forth (because it did not exist)

Likewise no credentials regarding his previous military experience in England were ever produced.

Arthur seemed to have no fear of any lies and shortcomings etc  being revealed as he appointed high-flying solicitors to fight his case to the highest level.

I feel there should be another file somewhere  to continue the case.  I would like to know what happened next.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 January 24 07:01 GMT (UK) »
I also read through the 80 page file on a rainy day!

It really seems that the authorities were so caught up with the origins of his name that nothing else mattered.

My guess is that he changed his name after the war, possibly to his birth name of Ellis.