Poll

WHO IS HANNAH CRESSWELL'S FATHER?

James
3 (60%)
Joseph
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: CRESSWELL look up please  (Read 44750 times)

Offline Beverley Nicholson

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • ...for God, for country, and for YALE
    • View Profile
CRESSWELL look up please
« on: Wednesday 30 June 04 15:34 BST (UK) »
 :)
Hello to Derbyshire, from Rhode Island,( the smallest state )and home to many of Derby's descendants.

I am wondering if someone would be so kind as to look for the following people for me and possible ancestors.  
My grandmother, Doris Redman, came to RI with the woolen industry as a little girl age 6.  I am looking for some of her ancestors.

JOSEPH CRESSWELL b 1831 Denby Derbyshire
m Sarah Ann________?______.

Any information on this line would certainly be appreciated.  Their daughter Hannah was my gg grandmother.  Hannah was born in Denby on 18 Feb 1853.

Thanks in advance!
Beverly

http://
NICHOLSON- Cheshire England and Dundee, Scotland.  <br />Also Wright, Marlor, Redman, France, Walters, Crresswell, Stephenson, Crossland, Watson- ENGLAND <br />Crammond, Keith, Crighton, Haggart, Mill, McKenzie, Crocat, Farquharson, Kea - SCOTLAND<br />Derrigg, Moran- IRELAND<br /><br />SPECIAL THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED ME RESEARCH!!  :)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:CRESSWELL look up please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 03 July 04 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Beverly,
Is Joseph b 1831 the son of Robert & Mary Creswell who was Bpt 11th December 1831 Denby? With the following siblings:-
Elizabeth Bpt 24.9.1826
Stephen        23.11.1828 = Hannah Woolland 7.10.1847
Mary Ann       16.6.1833
Robert            23.10.1836
Benjamine     28.5.1837 = Mirah Palfreyman 20.1.1857
Timothy           7.4.1850

You can find most of these on 1881 Census www.familysearch.co.uk
Robert & Mary are also on.
Have been unable to find a marriage for Joseph & Sarah Ann, both were born in Denby.
Will you please confirm birth date for Hannah, will then see if I  can find them on 1861 Census.
Greetings from Belper twinned with Pawtuckett.
Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 July 04 16:29 BST (UK) »
 :)
Thanks for the information.  I cant seem to get into familyserch.co.uk, but can get it from familysearch.org- maybe its because I am in the US?
Anyway, I was up until after midnight last night trying to figure this family out.  There certainly is a ton of British  information at the Mormon site...thanks again for further suggesting I pursue this site.  
Have a nice day!
Sincerely,
Bev  :)

PS Hannah Cresswell was born Feb 18, 1853 in Denby.  I have her actual little prayer book and a newspaper obit that was sent here to Rhode Island to my grandmother in 1836. "She died at " 6 Grange Avenue, Aughton (sp?) Road Estate Swallonest.  (????)She was a native of Denby, Derbyshire."
NICHOLSON- Cheshire England and Dundee, Scotland.  <br />Also Wright, Marlor, Redman, France, Walters, Crresswell, Stephenson, Crossland, Watson- ENGLAND <br />Crammond, Keith, Crighton, Haggart, Mill, McKenzie, Crocat, Farquharson, Kea - SCOTLAND<br />Derrigg, Moran- IRELAND<br /><br />SPECIAL THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED ME RESEARCH!!  :)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 July 04 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi. Swallownest  is just east of Sheffield and on my modern map is in Yorkshire now but may well have been in Derbyshire then, not much in it distance wise. Aughton is spelled right and is another place just east of Sheffield. The following link may interest you http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/WRY/Aston/index.html
I must admit that I never heard of "wapentake" before in my life - must be a weird Yorkshire thing! ;D
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 04 July 04 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Beverly.

You might want to keep an eye on the archives of messages from the Derbysgen mailing list on rootsweb.  The Denby parish registers dating from 1573 are currently being copied on to the site by one of the listers - they are up to the 1750's at the moment and I have noticed several instances of the surname Cresswell. I don't know what date they will go up to.

The link is http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/DERBYSGEN/, scroll down to 'June 2004', and then search for 'Denby Register' (there are several messages, and they carry into July 2004).

Regards,
Sasha.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 04 July 04 22:54 BST (UK) »
WAPENTAKE

Is a hundred or division of a Shire, in areas of England that had a large Danish population.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 July 04 19:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help; I will check through all the Denby records you are posting.
Beverly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 July 04 18:08 BST (UK) »
 ???
Hello to everyone so kind to be helping me.
I am totally confused at this point.  
I had always thought Hannah Cresswell's( b Feb 18, 1853 in Denby) fathers name was Joseph and her mother, Sarah Ann.  
I recently viewed Hannah and Henry Walter's marriage documentation on the LDS site, and saw where she listed her father as James Cresswell.  
Can someone please help by searching for her in the census?  
I have her little prayer book and also the original obit from 1936, but neither give mention of her ancestors.
Interestingly the article claims, "to have never had a doctor or a bottle of medicine until the last 2 weeks of her life."  You go girl!!  LOL!!   She was 83 when she passed away!
Have a good week everyone!
Bev

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 July 04 18:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev,

There is this baptism on the IGI:

Anne Cresswell, 14th June 1853, Bradley, Derbys, parents James and Elizabeth Creswell.

Bradley is just under 11 miles away from Denby.

Regards,
Sasha.