Poll

WHO IS HANNAH CRESSWELL'S FATHER?

James
3 (60%)
Joseph
2 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: CRESSWELL look up please  (Read 44748 times)

Offline ~meg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re:CRESSWELL look up please
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 06 July 04 19:05 BST (UK) »
Bev, Regarding the confusion in the name of Hannah's father, have you tried the FreeBMD site?  I just did a quick search for you, and although there is a year difference in year of birth, there are other similarities:
Birth: June 1852
Hanna Cresswell
District:  Belper*
Vol. 7b, pg.311
*The District of Belper includes Denby.

If this looks like a possibility, you might want to order the birth certificate.  That will give you her father's name.  If you're not familiar with the site, here is the link:
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

meg
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

Offline Beverley Nicholson

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • ...for God, for country, and for YALE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 06 July 04 19:16 BST (UK) »
Dear Sasha and Meh,
Not knowing the "lay of the land" I am wondering if this could help in the quest.  I cannot find the information I have that Joseph was her father...this is driving me nuts.
She identifies herself in the hymnal as Hannah Cresswell Ripley, February 1877.  She was married the following year to Henry Walters.
Bev ??? ::)  

HANNAH'S OBIT.
FOUND IN HER HYMNAL- A COLLECTION OF HYMNS FOR THE USE OF THE PEOPLE CALLED METHODISTS 1876

January 6, 1936
"The late Mrs. Hannah Walters- The death occurred on Monday at her home 6 Grange Avenue, Aughton Road Estate, Swallownest, of Mrs. Hannah Walters, widow of Mr. Henry Walters. The deceased lady, who was 83 years of age, had resided at Swallownest for the last 60 years.  She was a native of Denby, Derbyshire.  She could claim that she had never had a doctor or a bottle of medicine until the last two weeks of her life.  Her husband died about 15 years ago.  She leaves one son, six daughters, and 17 grand children and four great-grandchildren.  The interment took place on Thursday in the cemetery at Aston, following a service conducted in All Saints Church by the Reverand AR Hince (assistant curate).  The mourners included Mr. and Mrs. J. Walters, of Swallownest (son and daughter in law), Mr. and MRs. C. Simpson of Bradford(son in law and daughter), Miss Mary Walters of Bradford (daughter), Mrs. J. King of Bradford (daughter), Mrs. W Greenwood of BRadford (daughter), Mrs. T. Gunday of Goldthorpe (daughter), Mr. Norman Gunday of Goldthorpe, Miss Madge Walters of Bradford, Master Eric Walters of Bradford (grandchildren), Mr. and Mrs. J. Coundley of Swallownest, Mr. and Mrs. G. Whysall of Swallownest (nephews and neices), and MRs. L Turner of Swallownest.  Floral tributes were sent by James and Florrie and family, Carrie and Charlie, Polly and Jane, Alice and Billy, Mimi, Tom, and Norman (grandchildren), and Mr. and Mrs. G Whysall of Swallownest."

Interred at Aston, January 9, 1936
NICHOLSON- Cheshire England and Dundee, Scotland.  <br />Also Wright, Marlor, Redman, France, Walters, Crresswell, Stephenson, Crossland, Watson- ENGLAND <br />Crammond, Keith, Crighton, Haggart, Mill, McKenzie, Crocat, Farquharson, Kea - SCOTLAND<br />Derrigg, Moran- IRELAND<br /><br />SPECIAL THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED ME RESEARCH!!  :)

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 06 July 04 19:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev,

You're lucky to have the obit - all those names!

If I were you I would buy a copy of Hannah's marriage certificate.  This will eliminate the possibility of a transcription error on the IGI, give you an occupation for her father which may help to place him on the census, and perhaps the witnesses to the marriage may provide extra clues.

I see from the IGI that the marriage took place in Codnor & Loscoe.  Having just looked on the Genuki site the parish church is St. James, but it also mentions that the Weslyan Reformers & Methodists have places of worship there, and from the details in her obit it could well be that she was married there.

Regards,
Sasha.  :)

p.s. - have you seen the look-up offer for Derby Local Studies Library?
http://www.rootschat.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=150;action=display;threadid=6242;start=0;boardseen=1

Offline ~meg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 06 July 04 19:44 BST (UK) »
Bev, From the FreeCen website for 1891 UK:
meg

Piece: RG12/3844 Place: Rotherham-West Riding of Yorkshire Enumeration District: 3
Civil Parish: Aston With Aughton Ecclesiastical Parish: All Saints
Folio: 77 Page: 44 Schedule: 242

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surname   First name(s)   Rel   Status   Sex   Age   Occupation   Where Born   Remarks  
    WALTERS   Henry   Head   M   M   39   Coal Miner(Em'ee)    Nottinghamshire - -        
    WALTERS   Hannah   Wife   M   F   38       Derbyshire - -        
    WALTERS   Sarah   Dau   -   F   13       Derbyshire - -        
    WALTERS   Mary   Dau   -   F   11       Derbyshire - -        
    WALTERS   Catherine   Dau   -   F   10       Yorkshire - -        
    WALTERS   Jane   Dau   -   F   8       Derbyshire - -        
    WALTERS   Alice   Dau   -   F   5       Derbyshire - -        
    WALTERS   Jemima   Dau   -   F   3       Derbyshire -  
"Assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit"

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 06 July 04 20:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Meg,
I have that information- SARAH was my great gram and I named by daughter after her. Sarah left England and emigrated to Maine, and then Rhode Island.
Its these darn Cresswells that are driving me nuts.
The more I look at things, the more it looks like Hannah's father was James and not Joseph.

Hi Sasha,
Thanks for the hyperlink for the person who will do lookups.  I just added a post for her.
I have 4 generations back if her father was Joseph- b 1831 in Denby, but it looks like her dad was James.  
On to more research.  Good thing I have the summer off- I am a reading/literacy teacher.

Thanks again for all your help, Sasha and Meg!!
I'm sending some Rhode Island sunshine your way!
Bev
NICHOLSON- Cheshire England and Dundee, Scotland.  <br />Also Wright, Marlor, Redman, France, Walters, Crresswell, Stephenson, Crossland, Watson- ENGLAND <br />Crammond, Keith, Crighton, Haggart, Mill, McKenzie, Crocat, Farquharson, Kea - SCOTLAND<br />Derrigg, Moran- IRELAND<br /><br />SPECIAL THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED ME RESEARCH!!  :)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 06 July 04 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Bev,
1881 Census on www.familysearch.org:-
      Name                         Age        Born
Walters Henry    Head    27  Cinderhill, Nottingham   Coal Miner
"         Hannah    Wife     28  Denby, Derbys
"    Sarah Ann     Dau        3  Rentrick, Derbys
"     Mary             Dau        1  Aston, York
"  William        Brother     40  Pentrick, Derbys              Coal Miner

Living   Aston Ter, Aston Cum Aughton & Ulley York
Ref  RG11/4670/78   Pg  46.

This I think proves she was born in Denby, Derbys.  The place names
Rentrick and Pentrick  I am sure should read PENTRICH, Derbyshire.
There is a Birth of Sarah Ann June Quarter 1878 Belper 7b, 595.  Belper Registration District includes Pentrich. (this is on free BMD)
The connection being Coal, it was mined Pentrich, Denby, Heage, Belper etc. all within a few miles of each other.
Will visit record office tomorrow and see if I can find her on the 1861 Census, Before she got married.
Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 06 July 04 22:41 BST (UK) »
Dear "Spendlove"
Thanks so much- you are so sweet to do this for me.  Wish there were something I could research for you in Rhode Island; please let me know if there is.
I have spent the whole day looking and re- editing this stuff. I've totally deleted Joseph Cresswell- but did keep a hard copy of what I thought was the correct research- just incase!  Not knowing where these little villages are makes it difficult to grasp.  I do know that supposedly Hannah was ashamed of her pregnancy (married in Feb and delivered in April 1878), but I have no reference other than "heresay" for that.  Her obit says though, that she lived for 60 years in this Swallownest. Is this near Bradford? Do you know of any old map that could identify and show me these places?
In between researching this, I am re-reading DH Lawerence- Of Sons and Lovers- just to get into the ambiance of it all- LOL.

Bev

Offline Meriel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 07 July 04 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Beverley,

I have seen your request on my post about looking in Derby Library to see if I can help you...so I will try and help sort this out for you. Just looking here to see what info you already had and what others have provided...

&searchp=newsearch.srf&mapp=newmap.sr]
In the meantime here is a (current) map showing some of the places mentioned CLICK

As you can see Belper is in the middle with Ripley slightly to the north east, Pentrich is slightly above Ripley and Denby directly below. All these places still exist.

I dont know Swallownest but as others have said that could be in Yorkshire.
smith : leage : emerson : anderton : hart : boyce : baker : weaver :
penycate : greenway : taylor : wellbelove : bulmer : fanning : turnham : whitehouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 07 July 04 12:09 BST (UK) »
 :) Dear Meriel,
Thanks for your kind offer to look up Hannah's birth.  I am basically looking to see whether her father was James or Joseph. (and any siblings etc.)  She was born on February 18, 1853 in Denby, married Henry Walters in Codnor on February 9, 1878, and had my great grandmother, Sarah, 2 months later on Arpil 1, 1878.
Thanks again for helping me and many thanks for the map.  Town names etc. are now in a little better mind set for me. Its hard to see across the Atlantic!
Sincerely,
Bev