Author Topic: Anders Gustaf Staaf SWEDEN  (Read 280 times)

Offline R3GaN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anders Gustaf Staaf SWEDEN
« on: Thursday 04 January 24 10:34 GMT (UK) »
I am looking to fill some gaps about my ancestor Anders Gustaf Staaf b. 1857 in Uddevalla, Gothenburg, Sweden
My research tells me his father was Anders Frederick Staaf b. 1823 and his mother, Jacobina Sorensdotter b. 1828. However, when he died, on his death record in Victoria, Australia, his mother is listed as Louisa Andersson.

Can anyone find record of this? He was the fourth child after Emalia, Ulrika and Helena who appear to be born to Jacobina. Possibly it was a mistake but given the Swedish name it is plausible. He also named his first daughter Louisa.

Anders (Andrew) worked as a sailor and he is said to have abandoned ship in 1876 in Australia.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find any records of his time as a sailor?
He returned to Sweden at some stage after 1876 but returned to Australia aboard Orient in October 1880 from London. He is listed on Swedish records as having emigrated so he came back through proper channels. However, I cannot find him on the passenger list I found online.

I believe he had a child in Sweden (twins – but one and the mother didn’t survive) in the year he returned to Australia.

I would love to fill some gaps about his early years before he married in Australia if anyone has access to Swedish records.

Thanks

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anders Gustaf Staaf SWEDEN
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 24 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi
His mother's name is Jacobina Sörensdotter as you have:

Anders birth:
https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/C0041105_00050#?cv=49&c=&m=&s=&xywh=376%2C1682%2C1199%2C2474 - left page.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 24 19:58 GMT (UK) »
In this Household Examination Book from Uddevalla in 1891 states that Anders is a seaman and in Australia. His sister Anna Lovisa is in America:

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/C0041996_00092#?cv=91&c=&m=&s=&xywh=698%2C3178%2C876%2C1644 - bottom of page

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 24 21:00 GMT (UK) »
I have gone through all the books for Anders and there isn't any evidence of him being married or having children. He is recorded as going out to sea on 31 Dec 1874, most probably his first trip.
Also his name is Anders throughout. No Gustav mentioned anywhere.

Ian

Offline R3GaN

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 January 24 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your research. It's a mystery why that name was listed on his death notice. Maybe just no one left to verify at the time.

I think he had a daughter Cecilia. He left money to her in his will. From my research, I think the mother is
Martina Elisabeth Jansdotter
1856–1881

Cecilia Staaf and her twin Anna were born
23 Feb 1881.

Cecilia stayed in Sweden and lived with Anders parents and sisters and died in 1965. Anna died after birth.

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 January 24 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Interesting. I'll take a wee look into that then.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 January 24 09:48 GMT (UK) »
I take it you have a lot of the pages I have found. If you want them I can send the links.

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 January 24 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Your research has been very accurate.
Anders doesn't seem to be recorded as returning to Sweden. The twins were born illegitimate. I noticed that Cecilia was written under Gustav's name. I presumed that she was his daughter, but after a closer inspection it actually said "sondr" = son's daughter, relating to the head of the the household that is.

Here is the last page Martina is recorded. Row 10. The twins' names are squeezed in:

https://sok.riksarkivet.se/bildvisning/C0041994_00063#?c=&m=&s=&cv=62&xywh=482%2C1097%2C4490%2C2133

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 January 24 11:16 GMT (UK) »
You may already have this.
Anders Fredrik's and Cecilia's grave:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/243359587/anders-fredrik-staaf

Ian