Author Topic: Great Great Grandmother's unusual first and middle names - help working out why  (Read 594 times)

Offline Skylor

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My first post, so hope I give you all the information you need.  And am fully expecting there not to be an answer to this, but it's one of those mysteries that would be great to solve.

Background - my family is very much centered around the Sodburys in Gloucestershire.

In 1851 my 2x Great Grandmother was born and given the name Annis Francomb Drew.  She in turn named her daughter Annis Framcomb (Wigmore) in 1891, then my Gran was named Annis Mary (Pullin) in 1913.  My Gran is the last Annis as she did not hide the fact that she disliked her first name and was known as Mary to everyone, I still remember her cringing when someone in an official capacity would call out "Annis" :)

Anyway, back to my point.  I have researched Annis Francomb Drew's tree and can find no trace of any other Annis or Francomb.  I have also done some research on various Francomb trees with different spellings to see if I can find any connection.  It is a good Gloucestershire name, but most I found were the wrong side of the M4 and there was nothing obvious.

I was wondering if anyone with more experience of researching family trees could explain why a name that seemed to have enough significance to be passed down to the next generation seems to have no obvious origin.

If you have read this far then thank you.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Great Great Grandmother's unusual first and middle names - help working out why
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 January 24 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skylor, and welcome to Rootschat.

Without knowing a lot more details, it's hard to say why these names were given initially.
As you know, names can be chosen for many different reasons.

Could you give us the names of the parents of Annis Francomb Drew's parents?
I presume you have looked at the wider family of her parents - their brothers and sisters; their aunts and uncles; their grandparents etc.
What was the occupation of her father? Who did he work for? What was the local squire's name?
Where did her mother come from? And her mother before that? What were the names of their sisters?

It could be that 'Annis' was the name of some important person in the area, or someone famous at the time. Have you looked for other girls being baptised Annis around the same time? It may give a clue if it was a popular name.
I have an ancestor who called one of his sons after his landlord, and another after his neighbour.
I also have the name 'Arminall' in a family - a very unusual girls name. The last one with the name died in 1907.
The name came down through many generations of the family - the first one I've found is from 1737 - and I'm still not sure where it came from! I think it was just a name they had heard and liked. Perhaps it was the same with 'Annis'.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Online jimbo50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Great Great Grandmother's unusual first and middle names - help working out why
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 January 24 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Googled Meaning:Pure; Virginal. Annis is a girl's name of Greek origin. Possibly one of the earlier forms of Agnes, it goes on to mean “pure” and “virginal.” By virtue of this, it's a name favored by the likes of saints.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 January 24 22:01 GMT (UK) »
As you mention, jimbo50, certainly looks to be a derivative of the name Agnes. See www.whatsinaname.net/female-names/Annis.html

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 January 24 22:14 GMT (UK) »
I've spotted a couple of Agnes Francombs (or similar spelling) born Chipping sodbury in the 1860s. Wonder if there's any connection

There's also quite a few francombes (or similar) in he area, so the name may have come down from a marriage some way in the past

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 January 24 22:25 GMT (UK) »
I've been doing some digging and found out where the name Francomb came from.

Annis Francomb Drew born 14 April 1854 Yate, (although you have 1851 in your post)
Robert Parker Drew married Elizabeth Ann Cole 29.3.1853 at Old Sodbury.
Elizabeth Ann Cole then died in Jan 1855.

Elizabeth Ann Cole's father was William Cole, and her mother Emma Jane Bendall, married 13 May 1822 Westerleigh.

All the above from a tree on MyHeritage, but with all the dates to support the evidence it would seem fairly reliable.

Coming to it from a different direction, there is a whole section on The National Archives  for wills proved at the PCC (Prerogative Court of Canterbury). They are free to download at the moment if you're registered and signed in - all free to do.

There is a will for a Thomas Francomb, 'Gentleman of Old Sodbury'. March 1832.
He would seem to be unmarried, and leaves a couple of messuages for the benefit of his servant Martha Tilling for her lifetime, and then after her decease to James Cole of the Parks farm in Old Sodbury, who is also his executor.
James Cole is married to Thomas Francomb's sister Ann.
Children mentioned as receiving bequests ar Betty, wife of Mr James Holloway of Church Yatton; and Charles and William Cole.

So I think the relationship between Annis and Thomas Francomb goes like this:
Annis Francomb Drew -
mother Elizabeth Ann Cole -
father William Cole -
father James Cole - wife Ann Francomb
brother Thomas Francomb

Ann Francomb was the great grandmother of Annis Francomb Drew.
Perhaps 'Annis' was a pet name of 'Ann'.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 January 24 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Excellent sleuthing goldie61 :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 05 January 24 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Well done, goldie.

I had found a marriage in 1784 between Robert Cole, widower and Ann Francomb, spinster in Yate, St Mary.
Ann was born in Yate, Gloucestershire in 1758 according to one tree.

I got lost though after that.  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 05 January 24 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Very nicely done goldie61   :)

CD