Author Topic: Robert POWER, Born 1834, Islington, London  (Read 529 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Robert POWER, Born 1834, Islington, London
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 January 24 13:16 GMT (UK) »
1900 New Orleans Directory
Robert Powers, r. Camp Nicholls

According to the internet, Camp Nicholls was a Confederate veterans home.  There is at least one image of the property, taken in the early 1900s.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert POWER, Born 1834, Islington, London
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 January 24 13:56 GMT (UK) »
First, let me thank you for all the additional research.   I am extremely delighted that you are helping so many gaps to be filled.

You raised the question of identity earlier.   Robert POWER(S)....there were spelling variations in the UK.....had been a "pupil" of the Royal Philanthropic Institute at their Red Hill Farm School and that Institute had arranged his emigration to the USA in 1850.   There are two specific entries in his "log book" at the School that are central to his identity:

(1):   May 1851:   At work in Troy, New York, doing well.

(2):   August 1854:   A letter from him today dated July 17th from Hudson, Columbia County, New
                                York.   He says he has done well as to work and wages, but has been careless
                                and extravagant  -  is now getting steadier  -  earns from 10/- to 12/- per
                                diem as a Carpenter.

There are obviously other areas of his life that need researching, although I believe there are several conclusions that may be drawn.   He was not married and had no children (or none presumably that he would openly recognise!!!).   I will draft his narrative with those presumptions.

Once again, my undying thanks for all your help...... ::) ::) ::)

For the moment,

BAC3