Author Topic: adopted person in Census?  (Read 1093 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: adopted person in Census?
« Reply #18 on: Friday 05 January 24 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Astrid,

Do you have a copy of Jessie's 1918 Birth Certificate? Attached to it is what we call an RCE or Register of corrected Entries. On this it states that her mother took Hyman Black to Court to prove Paternity of Elizabeth.

I cannot post it here but I will send you a personal message with my email address and gladly send tou a copy.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 05 January 24 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Astrid, I have sent you the personal message now.

No there are no records for the Mother and baby home. I enquired about that some years ago and was told only the accounts survived, sorry.

Dorrie
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline AstridKoorn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 05 January 24 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Astrid, I have sent you the personal message now.

No there are no records for the Mother and baby home. I enquired about that some years ago and was told only the accounts survived, sorry.

Dorrie

Thank you! I have send you a reply.

To bad there are no records. But I hope I can figure it out now.

Astrid

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 January 24 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I have done a little bit more research into the family. Just for the record this is what the 1911 Scotland Census lists - briefly.
Andrew Milne   aged 45   Head of household.
Jessie Milne     aged 38    Wife
Joseph Milne    aged 20    Son
Frank Milne      aged 14    Son
Andrew Milne   aged 12    Son
Lily Milne         aged 10    Daughter
Willie Milne      aged    7   Son
Ernest Milne     aged    3   Son
They are still living at 14 East Arthur Street, Edinburgh.

Now for the 1921 Scotland Census and this is where it gets very interesting. Again briefly.
Andrew Milne    aged 61   Head of Household  (Age is wrong but that is not unusual in a census)
Mary Milne        aged 48   Wife   (name is wrong but age correct - error on behalf of census taker ? )
Andrew Milne    aged 23    Son
Willie Milne       aged 17    Son
Ernest Milne     aged 13     Son

BETTY MILNE    aged 3      GRANDDAUGHTER.  -  This is almost certainly Jessie Elizabeth Milne born in 1918 to Lily Milne as there is no other Elizabeth Milne born in that timescale. My thoughts are that her grandparents called her by her middle name of Elizabeth (shortened to Betty) to differentiate between her and her grandmother. My conclusion is that she stayed within the family and was brought up by her grandparents.
They are living at 27 Salisbury Street, Edinburgh.

Her mother Lilly and husband Simon Bialeck are residing at 11 East Richmond Street, Edinburgh in the 1921 Census.

Grandmother Jessie Milne died on 10/5/1931. Residence 27 Salisbury Street, Edinburgh and Grandfather Andrew died on 19/5/1947. Residence 27 Salisbury Street, Edinburgh. Both deaths were registered by their son Andrew Milne.

All the addresses are in the Southside of Edinburgh and within 15 minutes walking distance of each other.

Astrid - I will be emailing you the records.

Monica  - If you see this post I would be grateful if you could let me know if you agree with my findings.

Dorrie

Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 07 January 24 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Just reading it now, Dorrie  :)

Well done, you have done a great job of fleshing out Lily's family. Certainly think you have found Jessie with her maternal grandparents in 1921!

Astrid, did Lily and Simon have children? Can't see any obvious entries for children.

This is a hard period now to find much, particularly for a child. Jessie could have remained with grandparents or maybe went to live with Lily and Simon earlier?

The addresses for the Bialecks from the Electoral Rolls show as:

1920-23    Comely Green Place 13 B. Only Sam (not Simon) Bialeck listed.
1924-29    11 A Richmond Street (East). Only Simon Bialeck listed.
1929         11 A Richmond Street (East). Lily listed with Simon for the first time.
1930-34    Clearburn Crescent 15 A. Lily and Simon listed.
1936-58    186 Pleasance 8, Deaconess Hospital. Lily and Simon listed. Jessie also listed between         
                 1942-47 up to her marriage.

1959-66    186 Pleasance 8, Deaconess Hospital. Lily died in 1958. Only Simon now listed.

Wondering about the gap in the 1920s when Lily did not show on the Electoral Rolls. Could she have been at home with parents and looking after her child Jessie? Lily showed in the listings with Simon from 1929 till her death. Wondering if Jessie was living with them too from 1929. Impossible to say and just thinking out loud!

Some details on the Deaconess Hospital which shows as part of the address for the family https://canmore.org.uk/site/137682/edinburgh-148-pleasance-deaconess-hospital

Also:

OPPORTUNITIES FOR PLANNING ACTION
Conservation Area Boundary Proposed Amendments
An extension of the Conservation Area boundary to include the Royal Commonwealth Pool, the Scottish Widows Building and Pollock Halls is proposed. These buildings form an outstanding group of Category ‘A’ listed buildings. It is also proposed to include the tenement at 186 Pleasance, which dates from 1932

https://democracy.edinburgh.gov.uk/Data/Planning%20Committee/20190227/Agenda/item_101_-_southside_conservation_area_character_appraisal_review.pdf

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 January 24 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Monica, great find in the Electoral Rolls for Simon and Lily.

Women did not get the vote in UK until 1928 so Lily would not be listed until after that date. Hence appearing on the 1929 Roll.

Jessie would get the vote in 1939 when she turned 21.  Perhaps between then and when she is listed in 1942 could she have been away doing some kind of war work? Only a thought.

186 Pleasance was built in 1932 just along the road from the Deaconess Hospital. Very interesting information in your link to the hospital.

Dorrie

Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 07 January 24 22:55 GMT (UK) »
You are right re the voting age, Dorrie. I forget!

I think women could vote from 1918 as long as they were over 30 years old. 1928 is when the age was brought down to 21 years, comparable with men.

Lily was born in 1898 wasn't she. So that explains it!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AstridKoorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 08 January 24 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Oh how wonderful this is! I'm always trying to figure everything out on my own. And now I suddenly have 2 enthusiastic people here helping me. And very good too! What a huge help you are.

Offline AstridKoorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 08 January 24 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I have done a little bit more research into the family. Just for the record this is what the 1911 Scotland Census lists - briefly.
Andrew Milne   aged 45   Head of household.
Jessie Milne     aged 38    Wife
Joseph Milne    aged 20    Son
Frank Milne      aged 14    Son
Andrew Milne   aged 12    Son
Lily Milne         aged 10    Daughter
Willie Milne      aged    7   Son
Ernest Milne     aged    3   Son
They are still living at 14 East Arthur Street, Edinburgh.

Now for the 1921 Scotland Census and this is where it gets very interesting. Again briefly.
Andrew Milne    aged 61   Head of Household  (Age is wrong but that is not unusual in a census)
Mary Milne        aged 48   Wife   (name is wrong but age correct - error on behalf of census taker ? )
Andrew Milne    aged 23    Son
Willie Milne       aged 17    Son
Ernest Milne     aged 13     Son

BETTY MILNE    aged 3      GRANDDAUGHTER.  -  This is almost certainly Jessie Elizabeth Milne born in 1918 to Lily Milne as there is no other Elizabeth Milne born in that timescale. My thoughts are that her grandparents called her by her middle name of Elizabeth (shortened to Betty) to differentiate between her and her grandmother. My conclusion is that she stayed within the family and was brought up by her grandparents.
They are living at 27 Salisbury Street, Edinburgh.
Yes! Fantastic! I am really happy with this. Indeed, they used her middle name. I didn't think about this at all.

I still have something to learn. For me, names and ages must always match 100%. But apparently that is not always the case. I think Jessie and Mary sound quite different. But you're right. The rest is indeed exactly the same. I am learning...

Her mother Lilly and husband Simon Bialeck are residing at 11 East Richmond Street, Edinburgh in the 1921 Census.
Yes, I found that too.

Grandmother Jessie Milne died on 10/5/1931. Residence 27 Salisbury Street, Edinburgh and Grandfather Andrew died on 19/5/1947. Residence 27 Salisbury Street, Edinburgh. Both deaths were registered by their son Andrew Milne.

All the addresses are in the Southside of Edinburgh and within 15 minutes walking distance of each other.

Yes, I noticed that too. Even Jessie's (Betty) father's address!
What I'm really most happy with. I can now make the family tree as the bloodline actually runs.

Astrid - I will be emailing you the records.
Thank you sooooooooo much for that!!

Monica  - If you see this post I would be grateful if you could let me know if you agree with my findings.

Dorrie