Author Topic: adopted person in Census?  (Read 1092 times)

Offline AstridKoorn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: adopted person in Census?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 08 January 24 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Just reading it now, Dorrie  :)

Well done, you have done a great job of fleshing out Lily's family. Certainly think you have found Jessie with her maternal grandparents in 1921!

Astrid, did Lily and Simon have children? Can't see any obvious entries for children.
I don't think so. I couldn't find anything. And my friend doesn't know either.
This is a hard period now to find much, particularly for a child. Jessie could have remained with grandparents or maybe went to live with Lily and Simon earlier?
Yes, the records from that period cannot yet be released, right? That is certainly the case in the Netherlands.

The addresses for the Bialecks from the Electoral Rolls show as:

1920-23    Comely Green Place 13 B. Only Sam (not Simon) Bialeck listed.
1924-29    11 A Richmond Street (East). Only Simon Bialeck listed.
1929         11 A Richmond Street (East). Lily listed with Simon for the first time.
1930-34    Clearburn Crescent 15 A. Lily and Simon listed.
1936-58    186 Pleasance 8, Deaconess Hospital. Lily and Simon listed. Jessie also listed between         
                 1942-47 up to her marriage.

1959-66    186 Pleasance 8, Deaconess Hospital. Lily died in 1958. Only Simon now listed.

Indeed, I had already seen that Jessie was mentioned in the Electoral Rolls in 1942-47. But I lost her in the meantime because I had assumed that she could vote at the age of 18. Still learning! :)

Wondering about the gap in the 1920s when Lily did not show on the Electoral Rolls. Could she have been at home with parents and looking after her child Jessie? Lily showed in the listings with Simon from 1929 till her death. Wondering if Jessie was living with them too from 1929. Impossible to say and just thinking out loud!

Some details on the Deaconess Hospital which shows as part of the address for the family https://canmore.org.uk/site/137682/edinburgh-148-pleasance-deaconess-hospital

Also:

OPPORTUNITIES FOR PLANNING ACTION
Conservation Area Boundary Proposed Amendments
An extension of the Conservation Area boundary to include the Royal Commonwealth Pool, the Scottish Widows Building and Pollock Halls is proposed. These buildings form an outstanding group of Category ‘A’ listed buildings. It is also proposed to include the tenement at 186 Pleasance, which dates from 1932

https://democracy.edinburgh.gov.uk/Data/Planning%20Committee/20190227/Agenda/item_101_-_southside_conservation_area_character_appraisal_review.pdf
Okay! So this was a former hospital. Good to know. I had already done some research about it, but it still wasn't clear to me.I thought it was still a hospital then.
Thank you Monica!!

Monica

Offline AstridKoorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 08 January 24 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Monica, great find in the Electoral Rolls for Simon and Lily.

Women did not get the vote in UK until 1928 so Lily would not be listed until after that date. Hence appearing on the 1929 Roll.

Jessie would get the vote in 1939 when she turned 21.  Perhaps between then and when she is listed in 1942 could she have been away doing some kind of war work? Only a thought.
That's certainly a good thought Dorrie. Her mother was a 'Munition Worker' in the First World War. So if she looks anything like her mother...

186 Pleasance was built in 1932 just along the road from the Deaconess Hospital. Very interesting information in your link to the hospital.
As I understand it, they left the outside of the hospital and converted the inside into living space. Is that right? I can read reasonable English but it is tiring because I don't understand all the words.

Dorrie

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 12:46 GMT (UK) »
You are correct Astrid that records become harder to find nearer to the present day. Its all to do with protecting  those still living.
The 1931 Scotland Census will not be released until January 2032 at the earliest. The 1931 Census for England etc was lost in a London bombing in 1942 but the Scottish one was kept near Edinburgh so it has survived. There was no UK Census in 1941 because of WW2. That means the next one taken for the whole country was in 1951 and that is closed for 100 years at least.

The Deaconess Hospital in Edinburgh remained a hospital until 1990 and then it was used as the Headquarters for Lothian Health Board until 2010. In 2014 it was converted into Student Accommodation.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline AstridKoorn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying this Dorrie! Such a shame that it takes so long before anything is released. But I also get it. In the Netherlands you can request a 'personal card' for a fee when someone has died. You can see, among other things, at which addresses someone lived and the names of the children are also on it. These cards are very valuable for research into people from the 20th century.
Hopefully with this I can teach you something too ;)

Apparently I still don't understand this address: 186 Pleasance 8, Deaconess Hospital.
Did Lily and Simon actually live in a hospital? Or did the hospital rent out these homes?

You might also like to know:
Jessie's father, Hymen Black, and adoptive father, Simon Bialeck, were both Jewish. Lived in the same neighborhood. And they are now both buried in the same cemetery. The Piershill Cemetery. All graves are very well documented on their side. I was very surprised.

Astrid