Author Topic: Ridaway farm Stoke Rivers  (Read 571 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ridaway farm Stoke Rivers
« on: Friday 05 January 24 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Someone may just have access to a map or record that best locates Ridaway farm on the edge of the village of Stoke Rivers, Devon.

I have some research to contribute:
possible spelling: Roadway, Riddaway, Ridaway, Ridway

Document #1478M/36 North Devon Records office under Chichester of Shirwell
1 Lease 1732 Chichester Horridge 1 Lease 1733 Chichester Riddaway 1 Lease 1879 Hiern

1780 Stoke Rivers Land tax - William Leworthy will be my ancestor

24 Nackers Bushes   William Tucker                      William Tucker              £0 12 0
25 Turpitts               William Tucker                      William Tucker              £0 8 0
26 Ridway                William Leworthy                  William Leworthy            £0 3 0

1797 Land Tax Stoke Rivers
12 Wester Nackershole   Sir John Chichester     William Dennis               £0 8 0
13 Westgate                  Sir John Chichester     John Courtney               £4 4 0
14 Roadway                   Sir John Chichester     William Leworthy           £0 3 0
15 Barnacott                 John Tamlyn                John Tamlyn          £8 8 0

1831 Land tax Stoke Rivers
10 North Horidge       Sir Arthur     Chichester     John Blackmore        £1 8 0
11 Barn                     Sir Arthur     Chichester     John Rowe             £0 13 0
12 Ridaway                Sir Arthur     Chichester     John Rowe             £0 3 0
13 Nackershole          Sir Arthur     Chichester     Thomas Lake           £0 12 0

1834 Death of Samuel Yeo 6 Nov 1835 at Ridaway farm (married to Joan Leworthy)

1841 Census two Kingdon families on Ridaway farm (James Kingdon m. Elizabeth Yeo) and father Joseph Kingdon in village next entry to Ridaway farm as per enumerator's schedule.

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ridaway farm Stoke Rivers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 January 24 06:13 GMT (UK) »
I can't see it at the moment.   Genuki has a map of the parish if it helps and has both Barnacott and Knackershole shown on the map which are mentioned adjacent to Ridaway on the Land Tax records that you list https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DEV/StokeRivers/ParishMap   

I can't see Ridaway on the census post 1861 and as the OS sheets don't appear to have maps pre 1880 this might be a reason that the property is not shown https://maps.nls.uk/view/239767327#zoom=6&lat=3441&lon=4790&layers=BT

Kay

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 January 24 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Kay
Thank you
This second map showed Knachershole which on some of land assessments was seqenced next to Ridaway.
In the meantime I have tried to look at John Rowe as he had the lease of Ridaway farm.

The 1845 tithes indicate that he also had High Davis farm  but Redway on that sequencing was close to South Beer.

Now as John Rowe had High Davis and may be Low Davis, the sale of Grade 11 listed Low Davis make its location just south of the St. Bartholomew Church in the town.

Maybe the Ridaway farm was where I was thinking just out of the village on the west because the 1841 Census has parents in the village on the next entry a son on Ridaway farm. Therefore, the logic being that the enumerator has left the parents' home in the village and headed west to the Ridaway farm to record two cottages on Ridaway farm both with Kingdon connections.
Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 January 24 07:06 GMT (UK) »
You may well be right.  Ridaway seems to change it's neighbours in each census  :-\

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 January 24 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Kaye

This is one guess where I have placed Ridaway farm to west of Higher Davis. The second map as a one house on the road between Horridge and the village which I also thought might be one cottage. I have attached a pdf. If this doesn't work I will have to try to covert pdf to jpeg.
Keith

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 January 24 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Now you can see why I was asking for local expertise to help.

Keith

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 January 24 08:49 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the Devon History Society might be able to help  :-\  https://www.devonfhs.org.uk/

Kay

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 January 24 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kay
Just in case others are interested; I have some other thoughts but do not have access to Census locations for Ridaway farm after 1851, where it said Joseph Kingdon was a farmer of 15 acres on Ridaway farm, Stoke Rivers.
The colored map has a lone cottage between South Horridge farm and the village of Stoke Rivers and some other tax references called it Roadway farm. Minister Henry Hiern on Samuel Yeo's death in 1834 spells it as Riddaway. Surely, such a long-standing residential and educated family as the Hierns, knew how to spell the farm correctly.
Okay, if John Ridge or Ridd of South Horridge subleased or released the cottage and meadow to his son-in-law William Leworthy in 1780, maybe it was the Roadway cottage and meadow or called the Riddaway farm, with a reference to the name of main lessee from the Chichester family.
Keith

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 January 24 00:24 GMT (UK) »

I have some other thoughts but do not have access to Census locations for Ridaway farm after 1851, where it said Joseph Kingdon was a farmer of 15 acres on Ridaway farm, Stoke Rivers.

In 1861 there are two families at "Ridaway House" - John TURNER (61), ag lab and his family and Joseph KINGDOM (61), ag lab and his wife Phoebe. Immediately before Ridaway House is Barnacott House, then Orswell Cottage, then Orswell House. But after Ridaway House the enumerator goes to Stoke Village.
RG9/1491/97 pg 1