Author Topic: Ridaway farm Stoke Rivers  (Read 572 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Ridaway farm Stoke Rivers
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 07 January 24 00:34 GMT (UK) »
In 1871, Ridaway doesn't appear, however after "Barnicott" and "Orswell" is "Yard Cottage" - again with 2 families -  Thomas WATTS, 28, ag lab and Peter TAMLYN, 70, land owner and farmer of 268 acres.
RG10/2186/97 pg 9 &10
 Is this "Ridaway"? Yarde and Yarde cottages show here (with Orswell and Barnocott just to the north):
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16.7&lat=51.08968&lon=-3.93250&layers=168&right=ESRIWorld

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 January 24 01:07 GMT (UK) »
Maybe not, I just realised that both "Redaway" and "Yarde" appear on the 1851 and 1861 census.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 January 24 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you M.
Not so sure about Yards as even back in 1780 Land Tax ... Barnacott, Wester Yard and Easter Yard owned and occupied by John Tamlyn; and 1831 Land Tax  South Yard and Yard owned and occupied by Peter Tamlyn; Barnacott Richard Tamlyn and Orswell John Tamlyn.

In the 1831 sequence of land taxes strange .....
North Horridge owned by Chichester and occupied by John Blackmore
Barn owned by Chichester and occupied by John Rowe
Ridaway owned by Chichester and occupied by John Rowe
then it goes all the way over to Nackershole which is not logically., then back to Lower Davis which we know is back on the west edge of the village where recently sold as a Grade 11 listed building.
Thank you for the Census extras. I will check out the Thomas Watts as ag lab you mentioned in 1871 as that Joseph Kingdon died in 1865 Stoke Rivers and his grandson Joseph Kingdon was married to Elizabeth Watts from Swimbridge.
Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 January 24 03:12 GMT (UK) »
Two steps back; one step forward:
There is a tithe map of Stoke Rivers dated 1842  Tithe file: IR 18/1505  held by National Archives, Kew and surely, it should have buildings farmyards marked, including Ridaway.

Remembering I mentioned that in one land tax sequencing Ridaway farm was next to Knachershole, Deeds relation to Chichester family
Lease   Easter Knackers Hole   Chichester of Youlston to John Ridd of Stoke Rivers,..Chichester of Youlston to John Ridd of Stoke Rivers, carpenter 1775
. Reference 48/25/8 dated 1708 - 1803;
 this might be the answer as on one of the old maps
Knockershole ... Barnacott .... Oswell in sequence on way back into Stoke Rivers.

1786 Land tax assessment sequence

13 Wester Nackershole  Sir John Chichester     John Dinnis              £0 8 0
14 Roadway                   Sir John Chichester     William Leworthy    £0 3 0
15 Barnacott                   John Tamlyn                John Tamlyn            £8 8 0
16 Yard                          John Tamlyn                 John Tamlyn           £7 16 0

Thank you all for your help.
Keith

Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 January 24 01:15 GMT (UK) »
I see that by the times of numbers read, people are interested in this post:

1780 Land tax Stoke Rivers
Ridaway Proprietor William Leworthy  Occupier  William Lewworthy  Assessed tax 3 shillings

Accept possible error should be lessee not proprietor, as the Chichesters were the landowners.

John Ridd at South Horridge farm

Just looked at a map that showed Green farm on the south edge of village of Stoke Rivers.

And we know by some Census records that Ridaway entry followed by village dwellers, what if this record of property of Stoke Green was Ridaway

STOKE RIVERS
This record is held by North Devon Record Office (South West Heritage Trust)
See contact details Reference:   48/25/8/3
Title:   STOKE RIVERS  Description:20 George II

Lease for 99 years or 3 lives.

(1) Sir John Chichester of Youlston, Bart.

(2) John Ridge the younger of Stoke Rivers, yeoman.

Dwelling house and garden in Stoke Green, and common for one pig on Stoke Green.

Lives: Lessee's wife, Prudence; Lessee's daughter, Margaret; Lessee's son, Nicholas.

Consideration: 3 guineas in gold, and surrender of previous lease.

Rent: 2s. 6d.  Heriot: 2s. 6d.

Lessee to do suit to Stoke Rivers manor court and mills.

Armorial seal of (1). The arms are chequy, a chief vair.

Date:   3 December 1746
Held by:   North Devon Record Office (South West Heritage Trust), not available at The National Archives

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 11 January 24 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I have not purchased the 1842 Land Tithe map of Stoke Rivers. Maybe a Diamond subscription is a little expensive for the Ridaway farm location that my ancestors only rented two cottages on that small farm.

However, in saying that, I have found other information that may lead me to believe that the Ridaway farm was immediately south of the village of Stoke Rivers.

The Ridge family had a lease of South Horridge farm and Stoke Green, and the Buckingham family a
had a lease of Horridge farm and Lower Davies.

As pointed out by an earlier contributor, the occupiers of Ridaway farm in 1841 Census were agricultural labourers James and Mary Buckingham; Joseph and Phebe Kingdon; and his brother James Kingdon and his wife Elizabeth Yeo. Her father Samuel Yeo died on Ridaway farm in 1834.

I might disgaree with the 1841 enumerator and say that James Buckingham was actually a clerk/minister and farmer, as evidence by the baptism of a child. His wife may have been Mary Rowe (m.1834) [1817 land tax John Rowe Jun connected to Horridge farm].

The 1842 Tithe records indicate that a Rev. James Buckingham was the landowner; however, I would now suggest that was his father, the Rev. James Buckingham of Burrington.

The 1805 Land tax assessment recorded the Elder as owner of Lower Davies farm; then in 1823 Lower Davies and William Buckingham South Land.

The Rev. James Buckingham, the Elder, died and 1855 and his Will of 1850 recorded that his son James Buckingham would inherit...

Also, all that my messuage, tenement and farm called Lower Davies, situated in the Parish of Stoke Rivers in the said County of Devon with the rights, …….. and appurtenances thereunto belonging; And also, all those my fields or closes of land called the South Ground (formerly parts of South Horridge, situated in the Parish of Stoke Rivers, aforesaid, with their respective appurtenances; And also, all other my messuages, tenements and lands situated lying and being in the said Parish of Stoke Rivers, with their respective appurtenances ...

Based on the 1841 Census and these 1855 in hereditaments, then I may suggest that Ridaway farm was the above South Ground or near or part of Lower Davies farm, which I see was a Grade 11 listed building sold recently.

Keith

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 23:06 GMT (UK) »
To all interested readers.

With the assistant of Jan, the Devon Archivist, Ridaway farm (1780 under lease of William Leworthy) has now been identified and located, as was the location of the two Ridaway cottages (1841 Census) which were occupied by two Kingdon families. They were descendants of William Leworthy and his wife Charity Ridge.

Keith

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 03:37 GMT (UK) »
That's great. Glad you found it.