Author Topic: Address of Dunsford's Hotel, Valetta, Malta  (Read 224 times)

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
  • The future rests upon the foundations of the past.
    • View Profile
Address of Dunsford's Hotel, Valetta, Malta
« on: Friday 05 January 24 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know what street the Dunsford's Hotel in Valetta, Malta was located at in 1874?
Thank you in advance.
Census & BMD information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Address of Dunsford's Hotel, Valetta, Malta
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 January 24 12:25 GMT (UK) »
This shows:
254 Strada Reale

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01swu/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 January 24 12:38 GMT (UK) »
From searches:
The street is now Republic Street and 254, is I think, Regency House.

See page 358 here (4 of 18)
http://www.holobooks.co.uk/MaltaItineraryChapter17.pdf
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 January 24 11:06 GMT (UK) »
That's wonderful, thank you so very much.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 24 12:28 GMT (UK) »
This is the earliest reference to the hotel that I found at BNA. It suggests that at one time there were two hotels. There is also a reference to the Strada Forni address in 1854, but I can’t see a later one.

A note on the prices: an 1840 pound apparently corresponds to around £128 in 2024. Thus the large apartments cost around £70, and dinner was up to ~£25.

26 November 1842, Naval & Military Gazette and Weekly Chronicle of the United Service

TO TRAVELLERS TO THE LEVANT AND INDIA.
DUNSFORD'S HOTELS,
254, STRADA REALE, AND 94, STRADA FORNI,
LA VALETTA, MALTA.

In presenting the above card to the notice of the Nobility and Gentry of the United Kingdom, G. DUNSFORD would beg to offer he unfeigned thanks for their distinguished patronage during the last six years; at the same time, in order, if possible, to counteract a report which has been industriously spread to the prejudice of Malta, she would take the liberty of submitting a List of her Charges, which she pledges herself have never been altered:-

Furnished Apartments, sufficient for a Family of 8 or 10 Persons, at from 10s. to 12s, per diem. For smaller Families, in proportion.

Breakfast, each  from 1s to 1s 6
Dinner, each, from 3s to 4s
Tea, each, from 6d to 1s

Fire, Lights, and Wines, extra.

G. D. respectfully announces to Invalids trayelling for the benefit of their health, that her houses still enjoy the reputation they have so long held; and assures them, that every comfort is as much at their command in her establishment, as it could be in their own in England.

Hot and Cold Baths, &c. &c.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 24 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Almost 1874 – from an article 'En route to India" from Our Special Correspondent in the 25th October 1873 edition of The Echo (London):

Malta, which "little military hothouse" (as Lord Byron named it more than half a century ago) we have reached, anchored at, and landed in since I commenced this letter, is, as it always has been, the least changed place in Christendom. It is ten long years since I was last here, and it almost seems as if the very same people stood at the self-same shop-doors as they did in the year of grace 1864. I believe the same "guide, as he is pleased to call himself, met me at the same landing-place, and the same half-dozen young vagabonds thought it "very hard lines" because I refused to let them carry my dressing-bag to Dunsford's Hotel, where I am now writing. A good house, and clean, without being in the least extravagant, is Dunsford's, but those who rule over it appear to have somewhat curious ideas as to what is meant by the two words "latest news." I asked for the latest English paper when I went in, and was brought, with a great flourish, a Spectator of the 18th of September. The Gibraltar people are bad enough about the antiquity of their papers, but they are progress itself when compared to the Maltese.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline haliared

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 January 24 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Really interesting. It's great to see what type of establishment it was. A mariner relative died at the hotel and it would make sense now why they would have been staying there at the time.
Thank you, it is truly appreciated.