Author Topic: Irish Nationality  (Read 277 times)

Offline paulus1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irish Nationality
« on: Friday 05 January 24 14:47 GMT (UK) »
My Father was George Milner he was Irish by Birth my mother was English Freda we lived in Bingley West Yorkshire , I have been told by the Irish.ie. that i can get a Irish passport as he was born in Cork Ireland , how do i get one ?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Nationality
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 January 24 17:28 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

See this webpage: https://www.ireland.ie/en/dfa/passports/documentary-requirements/adult/ (4/5 of way down)

First time applicant born abroad;
I was not born on the island of Ireland. My parent was an Irish citizen when I was born, they were born on the island of Ireland.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline paulus1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 January 24 10:37 GMT (UK) »
I have contacted  the Passport Office and they told me to fill in the form , they also confirmed that I am eligible via email after i contacted them some months ago , unfortunately the form is not that straight forward

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 January 24 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi  paulus1 and welcome to rootschat,

I  got my ( initial)   Irish  passport, which was   around 12 or 13 years  ago I think withithout digging out my  Irish passport to have a look at the exact  date it was issued  ,but I haven't  renewed it,  which I should  do - I'll probably have to start from scratch again for a new one submitting all the certs again,   if I don't renew my expired  one very soon.  ( My mother is from  N ireland , I was born in  Wales)

When I did mine , I found  it really pretty straight forward
You just need to follow  the instructions on the passport application. All you need to do is prove who you are and prove that your parent is your parent and was born on  the island of  Ireland ( the Republic or in Northern Ireland  )

You will  need your  full birth cert of course, plus you will  need your  parent's full  birth cert too ( the one who was born in Ireland) , also  I submitted my parent's  marriage cert too. ( but wouldn't really  have needed it if they hadn't   married, as I was going through my mother)
You need the certified certificates , and also  long birth  certificates not short ones ( I only had a short one, so had to apply for my long  one from the GRO for my passport application) . I also had to apply for my mother's birth cert from groni as  I didn't  have her birth cert.

The only  problem I had with them believe it or not was my photo for the passport  lol - my  photos got  rejected two times for various  reasons  ,  photo was too close  or off centre ( and I had these photos taken in my local PO  by their staff ,which they have the set up for  passport photos ! ) - In  the end  I ended up doing the photo myself  at home ,with our  own camera which was accepted without further ado .

The requirements  don't seem to have changed since I did mine :

" Additional documents
If you were born abroad to a parent born in Ireland or Northern Ireland - you should also include:
Your Irish-born parent’s birth certificate
Your parents’ civil marriage" quote

which  of the requirements on your passport application are you having problems with  ?
 Very Kind regards

PS I am assuming your Irish  father was married to your mother , and/ or,  is on your  birth cert ? If not, you  may have a problem - I don't know what proof  they require for those  types of circumstances, if the Irish father  isn't on  the child's/applicant's birth cert.
Or If it's just the case of not  being  able to find your father's birth  cert with the Irish GRO ( as some people slip the net and  their  births were never registered and so on) . I  think  they will accept an official baptism record  , which I  seem to recall  reading somewhere on my then passport application.
But all in all , the passport application forms are pretty straight forward if  neither  of these two circumstances  apply to you.

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u