Author Topic: Tree from Dna  (Read 606 times)

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tree from Dna
« on: Friday 05 January 24 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
      would love get anyones view on this, a lady from Australia has been in touch with me on Ancestry who is a distant Dna match but unfortunatly the only info she has is a marriage cert (1862) with no info of other names but the two getting married and two witnesses along with the passenger list from when they left Ireland to go to Australia,  would it be possible for her to make a tree with such scant information ? 
Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tree from Dna
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 January 24 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Yes she should be able to make up some sort of tree with that information. It depends how close a DNA match she and you are …. does she need to trace her tree forward from this couple to the present day to find out where you and she connect, or does she need to go back further to find the connection.

I don’t know what information is on an Irish 1862 marriage certificate, but if parents aren’t named on it, and if the couple died in Australia, their Australian death certificates should give the parent’s names if known by the informant. That should give you a starting point to research that family in Ireland. You will need to know their religion as well.

The passenger list will tell her which members of the family travelled together. You/she should also trace all siblings of all branches if possible because your DNA connection may not be from the direct line.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 January 24 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Surely she has the information to link the marriage certificate to herself, otherwise how does she know what relevance it has to the DNA match?

Presumably she and/or you believe that one of the people named on the certificate are from the family line which links her and yourself?

So I assume you are hoping to work out how the people subject of the marriage certificate relate to yourself? It's then a matter of following the clues and directing research from the in fiormation you already have, as Ruskie explains.

Sometimes you end up having to do all that work yourself. On occasions though, I have found the match also willing to engage in the necessary research which can help enormously.

If your own tree on that side of the family already goes back to or beyond 1862, then I would recommend widening it from that point and even earlier if you have the information on preceding ancestors, to include the siblings of your direct ancestors, their marriages, children etc., and follow each line forward to as near the present as possible. You will hopefully find the connection.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 January 24 11:31 GMT (UK) »
It depends upon what information she has from the Marriage Certificate until now.

I am part Irish but reach a dead stop at the brick walls that there are caused by the lack of available records.

Depending upon what information is on the marriage certificate at least there should be the Father’s name of both the Bride and Groom. 

That is all I have for my GGGP’s Wedding in Dublin in 1867, so I know her Father’s name but that is it.

Another xGGP on a different line says in the 1851 Census he was born in a specific town in Ireland, 15 years later I am still no nearer finding any further information about him.

My Wife bought me a book for my birthday last year, “Tracing your Irish Ancestors” where one of the first lines states……….before 1865 there are very few records that actually exist.

Hence I’ve not read the book.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 January 24 11:40 GMT (UK) »
My Wife bought me a book for my birthday last year, “Tracing your Irish Ancestors” where one of the first lines states……….before 1865 there are very few records that actually exist.

Sorry Biggles, that made me laugh ;D
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 January 24 12:34 GMT (UK) »
If they were RC  there won't be a civil marriage cert before 1864. It's necessary to find parish registers before that.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 January 24 15:37 GMT (UK) »

Sorry Biggles, that made me laugh ;D

You are most welcome Phil.

Anyone want to buy a book on tracing your Irish Ancestors just pm me?

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 January 24 09:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all of you, I believe that getting certs over in Australia is  very expensive so maybe thats the reason she doesnt know about the info on them, Ihave just recieved a tree which starts with the newly weds in there new country so will try and see if I can match them up to another tree on Ancestry.

Mitchell Ireland Gavin Ireland  Morrison Ireland Hogan Ireland Kelly Ireland Duggan Ireland

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 January 24 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Catholic register is a transcript with no further information
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634767#page/63/mode/1up
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk